Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Going to try to remove injectors myself (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/36984-going-try-remove-injectors-myself.html)

tdiezel 11-24-2009 06:48 PM

Going to try to remove injectors myself

So Im going to give this a shot just to avoid a bill if I can take them out and put them back myself without messing something out. Any hints, advice, tools, etc.? I really don't want to mess anything else up but if one of my injectors is cracked I have to get if fixed ASAP. Can I just pull them all out and look at them or should I just have someone that knows what they are supposed to look like and stuff do the work? Thanks in advance fellas!

wildbill 11-24-2009 07:01 PM

Cleanliness is a real issue with a common rail. Clean the compartment real good if you can before you start.

From DDP's website: http://dynomitediesel.com/uploads/fi...ns_6042009.pdf

tdiezel 11-24-2009 07:13 PM

Damn thats a lot of work but maybe it will be worth it. I just have to make sure I keep track of everything. Thanks bill, always resourceful!! :tu:

wildbill 11-24-2009 07:18 PM

It took me around 10 hours to swap nozzles on mine. That included chasing tools, and having to run across town to use a vice. I also made sure I took my time, cause I didn't want an injector failure. MAKE SURE you get new copper washers and o-rings for your injectors. Also, inspect your connector tubes for pitting and corrosion, and replace as necessary. :tu:

Your dealing with at least 6,000 lbs fuel pressure at idle, and around 20,000 lbs at WOT, don't want to see you burn up an engine over a $2 o-ring or a $70 connecting tube.

tdiezel 11-24-2009 07:25 PM

Well to be honest I would love to do it but I am nervous about messing something else up so I think I will let my mechanic take a look at it just in case. Im tired of it not running and I don't want to contribute to that.

mysterync 11-24-2009 07:26 PM

Give me a call If I can help! I'll be glad to walk you through the steps your worried about!

wildbill 11-24-2009 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tdiezel (Post 438189)
Well to be honest I would love to do it but I am nervous about messing something else up so I think I will let my mechanic take a look at it just in case. Im tired of it not running and I don't want to contribute to that.

He'll be able to kill each injector individually, and do a cylinder contribution test. All 6 might be bad, or just one.

tdiezel 11-24-2009 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mysterync (Post 438193)
Give me a call If I can help! I'll be glad to walk you through the steps your worried about!

I will give you a ring tomorrow sometime and ask some questions. Thank you for offering help. I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 438208)
He'll be able to kill each injector individually, and do a cylinder contribution test. All 6 might be bad, or just one.

I will just take it to him then cause the oil levels are way to high and I have a feeling fuel is leaking in somewhere. He said that was the most likely cause.

05600hpcummins 11-26-2009 04:13 PM

It's not that hard, it looks complicated but once u get into it its not bad. Go to Dynomite Diesel.com they have step by step clear simple instructions to change injectors and or nozzels. I just did 90 hp nozzels in mine took about 5 hrs in and out just keep it clean and inspect everything real carefull and and u should be fine! Good luck.

trucken 02-14-2011 06:14 PM

Who tests CR injtrs in Florida?

I got a problem. Acting like a split nozzle. Fuel drooling out of tail pipe. Runs horrible. Barely idles. I took all inj out tonight. Not sure what I'm looking at. I cant see any holes (of course eyes ain't that great either) Maybe need a bigger magnifying glass..

I'd like to send them (W/Dynomite tips) to someone who knows their $hit.

Any ideas?

kenwahl@tampabay.rr.com