5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New Pics of the Heater/Collant Filter Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok on the bubbles. I see how much you do know now. Oh you may want to tape or heat shrink your connections for your egt probe. Enjoy your less than adequate bypass/ coolant reroute filter kit.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RamNu2
Ok on the bubbles. I see how much you do know now. Oh you may want to tape or heat shrink your connections for your egt probe. Enjoy your less than adequate bypass/ coolant reroute filter kit.
less than adequate? looks pretty good to me... guys like nadir share their set-ups to help other guys out and show them there are ways of doing it other than buying all the pre-fabed "connect and go over priced stuff." he doesnt do it for you to insult his set-up... constructive criticism and suggestions are appreciated; all other BS doesnt belong on the site. just my opinion

Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RamNu2
Aight, then. Let's see how much YOU know: Care to explain exactly what that $500 regulator Opie sold you does? I asked him directly and some of the lamers like you on DTR about that last spring, but nobody seems to have an answer on exactly why the coolant flow needs to be regulated. All it does is limit cooling capacity and of course make a nice little bell/whistle to justify an exorbitant price tag..

Look, I could care less if you like being a forking jerk. Whenever you feel like it you might want to ask a question or two first. Better yet, just mind your own dumb-arsed business.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 10-21-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

looks good man thanks for sharing the info

I know 5&6 are the ones needing the cooling the most

Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought the thermostat regulates the coolant flow......

Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
less than adequate? looks pretty good to me... guys like nadir share their set-ups to help other guys out and show them there are ways of doing it other than buying all the pre-fabed "connect and go over priced stuff." he doesnt do it for you to insult his set-up... constructive criticism and suggestions are appreciated; all other BS doesnt belong on the site. just my opinion
Exactly.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine
I thought the thermostat regulates the coolant flow......
It does. But one of the problems with this engine, in line engines in general and even some V8s depending on design, is inadequate coolant flow at the rear of the block. This is normally not an issue, but under heavy work or high-performance mods, may cause problems. This is why the Cummins 5.9 is notorious for scoring cylinders 5&6 under certain conditions. They have sold one or another after market kits to address this shortcoming for many years. The coolant flow issue is also why they tend to develop excessive pressure in the water jacket in that area under high-rpm conditions as well.

It's a relatively simple fix. Some after market vendors would lead you to believe otherwise, selling ridiculously over priced bling fittings and tubing kits complete with regulators to naive customers like RamNu2.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

Good post I didn't know about the 5&6 problem and your way of doing it look great and cheap

Old 10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by handymanherb
Good post I didn't know about the 5&6 problem and your way of doing it look great and cheap
heh; in my dead engines class in college they had some failed internal parts from an over heated cylinder on number 5&6... sure wasn't pretty. i'm pretty sure i'll go with a coolant filter when ever i do the rebuild on the truck... when i got it they couldnt figure out why the damn thing overheated so often... the radiator is so plugged only half of it even gets hot. open up the cap and you can see the build up on the cores. i flushed the cooling system and even let the radiator sit with some vinegar in it and sloshed it all around... got big old chunks of god knows what out of it; but it was soft kinda like lead. so; its getting rebuilt and hot tanked someday with that; the proper coolant maintenance.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This way looks much cleaner than the opie version imo. Plus this one has a filter...its a no brainer! good job

Quick Reply: New Pics of the Heater/Collant Filter Bypass