5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Stock Radio Interference Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stock Radio Interference Problems

Question for ya?

Lately I have been having a problem with my stock radio. Every once in a while I will get what seems to be interference coming through the speakers. Sounds almost like a white noise morse code coming through the speakers. Doesn't seem to be tied to rpm, or any other engine related issues. It will come on for a few seconds then goes away and might not come back for hours days or a few minutes? You can still hear the music over the noise, but it has gotten steadily worse, becoming louder on a recent trip to chicago. It does not seem to matter if I have any other devices on or off (CB radio, radar detector, power invertors, etc.). I have not bombed the truck beyond and exhaust, MBRP 5 in, and K&N intake. Anybody have any ideas? I have reset the batteries several times to fix other little quirks, didn't work on this one. Any ideas? Thanks.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Anyone?

Last edited by jfoose; 10-06-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Any codes starting with a B??

The following users liked this post:
jfoose (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Where is your cell phone in relation to the radio?

jfoose (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

No codes that I know of. I haven't flipped the key to check yet. What should I be looking for, and what would the codes mean? I am not sure on the cell phones in relation to the radio. This last trip we had three in the truck, and at least one was on the internet at all times. I usually put my phone in the little tray above the radio, but I have done that for longer than the problem has existed. Any other thoughts? Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Codes starting in B are body codes, C are chassis codes, P are power train codes, and U....I'm not sure exactly

jfoose (10-07-2009)
Old 10-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It would also depend on what the codes were as to what they pertained to. Sometimes the codes can point you in the wrong direction; but, they are almost always a good place to start (They usually are at least pointing to the problem 'area').

I say it is the cell phone. I have the same thing with mine. But only at times. There are so many variables with interference that there may be no way to tell you exactly how it is doing it. Or exactly how to stop or prevent it....
Easiest thing is to just move and / or re-orient the cell phone inside the truck.
Another thing you can do is to put your cell phone right next to a very cheap radio or set of computer speakers. Sometimes I can get mine to 'broadcast' this same noise over one of these cheaper devices. I don't know exactly when it does make this noise but I think it is when it 'communicates' with the cell network. Mine has an 'incoming' and an 'outgoing' data symbol so it seems like it is sending at the same time it is receiving data (Like a text message). It will also make this same kind of noise at random without any texting or calls taking place. I think they just randomly update the cell network to let them know the phone is still on and in that cell.

HTH. I am almost willing to bet this is what you are hearing. If I'm right, you will hear the same 'noise' over those cheap speakers or radio at random. I have to position my cell phone just right in relation to the speakers to get it to do it; so don't give up too easily if you don't hear it at first. If this is what is happening, I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything... (At least with your truck! . . . LOL )

jfoose (10-07-2009)
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think it is the phone! I remember my old phone used to do the same thing to my computer speakers at work. I guess I just wasn't making the connection. Thanks for the help everyone!