5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 48RE Transmission problems

When a take off from a stop if I drive easy it wants to shift back in forth from 1st to 2nd. Also there is a more than normal lag time on down shifts when I got on it. I have a stock tranny w/ a Goerand triple disc converter. Any of you guys have any ideas. Also do you guys know a good shop around OKC, OK to start taking my truck to get work done?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

you'll have to adjust your bands around 30k. What you'll notice is a lunging at low rpm's in 2 gear, it'll feel like it is shifting in and out of gear. You have two bands on that tranny, (48re) 1/2 and reverse, only the 1/2 is externally adjusteable. That is the one you probably need to adjust. On the drivers side of the tranny just above the pan you'll see a torx head with a jam nut, back off the jam nut, the torx should tighten freely by hand, tighten by hand until it stops, torque to 72 INCH POUNDS, NOT ft lbs. Then back off 1 3/4 turns, tighten jam nut, being sure that the torx bolt doesn't move from its 1 3/4 turn out position. I don't want to step on any toes here, but adjusting your tranny bands is a MANDANTORY service, and not doing so WILL effect the life of your tranny. If you refer to your owners manual it shows it as a required service interval at 30k along with a new tranny filter and fluid.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

ADJUSTMENT - BANDS
FRONT BAND
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2) is
located on the left side of the transmission case above
the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back
locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw
turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw
threads if necessary.
3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.)
torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach
the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5
N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
4. Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for
diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
6. Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND
The transmission oil pan must be removed for access
to the rear band adjusting screw (1).
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be
sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.)
torque.
5. Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to
34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on
transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft.
lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with MoparT ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphyStrut
When a take off from a stop if I drive easy it wants to shift back in forth from 1st to 2nd. Also there is a more than normal lag time on down shifts when I got on it. I have a stock tranny w/ a Goerand triple disc converter. Any of you guys have any ideas. Also do you guys know a good shop around OKC, OK to start taking my truck to get work done?
Normally that is the gov solenoid not funtioning properly. Pretty easy to change during a service. Might want to at least check your band adjustment if it has never been done. Carefully follow all instructions and double check it. Mess it up and it will cost you a rebuild.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I apologize for leaving a few things out, It downshifts a little firmer coming down into 2nd and 1st. Also when I put it in tow haul it downshifts so hard it scares me. I totally forgot sorry. Does that change anything? Thanks again for all your help.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Running tow/haul increases line pressure, in turn increasing pressure on the clutch packs so they don't slip under load.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Diesel Wrench

Just points more towards the gov pressure solenoid/transducer. Change them first before chasing too many ghost problems.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this maintenance be covered under the factory warranty?

Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by stolk
Would this maintenance be covered under the factory warranty?
There is a TSB for it and they should cover it under the warranty if you still have it. However, don't tell them you have an aftermarket TC or they will deny warranty on your whole truck.

Go complain about shuttle shifting, harsh upshifts and down shifts. Take the tech for a ride and show him what it does, don't let them look for it or they won't find it. You might get lucky and they will treat you right.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the factory warranty on the truck so instead of driving down to VA this weekend I might be driving to the local stealership. My truck shifts hard every once and a while into overdrive so maybe that will be fixed by this adjustment. But if not I might just have to try this adjustment myself. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 48RE Transmission problems