5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stolk
My truck shifts hard every once and a while into overdrive so maybe that will be fixed by this adjustment.
Do you happen to know which triple TC you got?

FYI, the trans will shift harder with the triple than the single because there is NO slippage in there and th epulse to unlock the TC between drive and OD doesn't unlock the TC. Does it rattle your teeth with the OD shift-lock with TH on?

FYI, the triples are hard on input shafts just in case nobody told you. It gets worse when you add a shift kit and raise the line pressures. From what I have seen, a billet input is almost a must if you have a good triple disk TC.

Take a run at the dealer and see if they will help you out. If they don't/won't post back and I will give a couple links to the aftermarket pieces that are much better.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all I know the TC in my truck is the stock one. I am the second owner though and the original owner just used the truck to pull a 5th wheel camper (or so I'm told). I don't remember the shift into OD being hard when I was towing and when in TH the shifts still didn't seem excessively hard. I'll give the dealership that I bought the truck a call tomorrow and see if they can shed some light onto what has been done to the truck as far as TSBs are concerned. Today when going to and from work everything felt fine, I think the hard shift only comes when I'm accelerating hard.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus60
There is a TSB for it and they should cover it under the warranty ... ...and show him what it does, don't let them look for it or they won't find it. You might get lucky and they will treat you right.
No kiddin'. It's called the 1-2 shuttle shift, due to a run of some cr@p-azz solenoids that got installed at the factory. They tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with mine after I left it there with a copy of the TSB and detailed verbal description of the symptoms I was experiencing. I had to suggest a talk with the service manager before the dimwits agreed to do it as a "customer courtesy." Bastiches.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Diesel Wrench

For all I know the TC in my truck is the stock one.
Why in your first post did you say it had a Goerends Triple disk????

Old 10-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt, my truck is still stock to the best of my knowledge. Murphystrut said his truck had one, I just made a comment that my truck shifts hard going into OD.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Diesel Wrench

I didnt, my truck is still stock to the best of my knowledge. Murphystrut said his truck had one, I just made a comment that my truck shifts hard going into OD.
Woops! Sorry, I missed the name and post combination.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same prob... The story is long and drawn out but they put new gov silenoid, new TQ converter, new bands, new valve body, and re flashed ECM and TCM before telling me the Dyno trailer I pull was 200lbs over the rated weight...
So, I still have a warrwnty on this 2007 5.9L. You think the dealer would know if I changed/tightened the bands up? Just the one on the outside of the trans, or is that even doable without adjusting both?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was reading a thread wear Irishman85 was experiencing some of the same problems. Another guy was saying something about how he got 2 other trucks that were experiencing the 1-2 shuttle shifts re-flashed at the dealership. I ask because I asked a diesel tech at the dealership and he said that re-flashing wouldn't fix the problem. Is that true. I ask because I've got some time this week and I'm gonna replace the solonoid and adjust the bands and just wanna make sure that it's not in vein. Once again you guys have been so awesome, I appreciate all your help!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus60
Just points more towards the gov pressure solenoid/transducer. Change them first before chasing too many ghost problems.
make sure that if you change the transducer that you do not bump it or drop it it will ruin it

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been fighting that for 212,000 miles. Truck is down again, third time. Had enough.

Quick Reply: 48RE Transmission problems