5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

POWER LIMIT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow POWER LIMIT

I'm a Newb so I don't know if this has already been discussed but my Question is....

What Is a SAFE "Power Limit" on a Stock Block for the 03-07 Cummins? I'm wanting to get away with as much as I can but still have a reliable DD. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

the block um well right around 750ish...now the top end, head studs, valves them things...not to mention your tranny is gonna need some upgrades to hold the power...

Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah of Course, So these guys making 1100+ Ft.Lbs... What are they running? Stock Block with Upgraded Internals? That's Basically all I wanna know about is the Block. I Definitely plan on Upgrading the Internals

Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

1100 ft lbs aint but about 450-500 horsepower and you can get that with a good programmer and some injectors...and the stock bottom ends will hold plenty for a daily driver...it mainly the valve train that needs to be updated to be reliable

Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

You should be fine on the 'block' side of things....
These guys are right: It's the drivetrain that will be the weak link. Auto trannys don't want very much extra power really. Course that depends on how you drive them actually. Even the clutch in a manual will cry for mercy with a strong programmer.

It will help to know your goal (And if you are stating HP or torque). And what you want it to do.. I had to laugh with a friend the other night. He stated how the wet roads suck.. I told him to just put it in 4x4... He said he did and all it did was spin all the tires... We had a good laugh because his has twins and a bunch of other goodies. I made the comment that his has about 4 times the power of a normal rig. Just something to think about when you are planning on adding a bunch of power to a diesel rig. It is amazing how much that extra power makes them hard to drive during the winter time!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by millco
You should be fine on the 'block' side of things....
These guys are right: It's the drivetrain that will be the weak link. Auto trannys don't want very much extra power really. Course that depends on how you drive them actually. Even the clutch in a manual will cry for mercy with a strong programmer.

It will help to know your goal (And if you are stating HP or torque). And what you want it to do.. I had to laugh with a friend the other night. He stated how the wet roads suck.. I told him to just put it in 4x4... He said he did and all it did was spin all the tires... We had a good laugh because his has twins and a bunch of other goodies. I made the comment that his has about 4 times the power of a normal rig. Just something to think about when you are planning on adding a bunch of power to a diesel rig. It is amazing how much that extra power makes them hard to drive during the winter time!
any kind of turbo lag with compromised traction on the roads is somethin that can get out of hand quick even with a stocker... my 89 the old girl once the turbo lights it'll brake one of the tires loose for a second... since your in boost its still pulling steadily no spikes in power as lag to boost will cause...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

The block is safe until 900 Fuel only and about 850 on spray. After that it needs a girdle. But PLEASE remember 800 horse trucks break....800 horse trucks ARE NOT daily drivers...no way around it. You need to spend some time doing your own research and decide if this will be a competition truck (700 and up) or a daily driver. You cant have your cake and eat it too!