5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Do it myself CP3

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Bomb Do it myself CP3

Ok guys I am thinking about doing my CP3 myself. It doesnt look hard at all and the fella I talked to thats going to put mine in said its pretty straight forward. I just have better things to spend $250 on if I can do it myself. What do you guys think? All help, help, pointers, and advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 09-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-c...-yourself.html

whitemore so kindly put this together

Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Oh I bought a new one from Industrial Injeciton. I just need to install it is what I meant by doing it myself.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

ahhh gotcha; i did see in the other posts )while looking for that one) that you were contemplating the purchase of an already moded CP3, i just figured you decided to do everything yourself. i dont think it'd be too hard... no timing involved... to my understanding its just a gear driven high pressure pump, disconnect the batteries, unhook the FCA and w/e else needs to be unhooked... look at your new pump to see mounting location and number of mounts... i'm not too familiar with these systems so i cant tell you off the bat where everything is... although i do recommend letting the truck sit for awile before you decide to cut the high pressure line loose... heard horror stories, and i've seen what common rail pressure will do to a hot dog on the safety video's... use water and you have hell of a way to cut up your steak wait a little while until someone comes along that is better suited to answer your question... to me it sounds like just a matter of using common sense and doing things systematically in order... like you've heard... sounds pretty straight forward

Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Great! Thanks for the input. It seems just that easy. Just take off the fuel lines and then unmount. Then remount and put all the lines back together. I will wait and see if someone can point me more in the right direction.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

thats what it basically is, theres no alignment to worryabout, just remove all the lines keep it clean, remove the bolts (4 of them im guessing) and pull out the cp3.

use an impact to remove the nut on the gear and puller to pull off the gear and mount it in the other one impact it on. and fclide it back in. the new pump should come with a new o-ring.

$250 isnt much for labor compared to a dmax cp3 replacement which would be 8 hours of labor. but then again you can actually see the cp3 on the cummins without removing anything.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok Im sure I can do it no problem. Do i need to take the belt off the front of the engine before I take the CP3 off? Then I just attach the gear that is turned by the belt on the new CP3? Is it that simple?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

what ever gives you more room to work in, batteries disconnected, belt can come off. the cp3 is gear driven from off the crank.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

So the gear is held in place some how and just connected to the CP3 which means I can take off the CP3 without having to remove the belt and losing belt tension?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yes you have to take the belt off, the CP3 is mounted to the back of the gear housing with the shaft extending thru the housing. the gear is held to the tapered shaft on the front side of the housing so the gear has to be pulled off before you can remove the cp3. even with the belt off there isn't alot of room for the puller to pull the gear off.

Quick Reply: Do it myself CP3