5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Turbo inlet fitting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 05:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo inlet fitting issue

2004 5.9 3rd Gen
Hi Tech Turbo... which is a modified Borg Warner S300

My turbo went so I sent it to Industrial Injection. They rebuilt it. Required a whole new center section and exhaust housing along with all the internals. Only part salvageable was the compressor housing. Heat damage. Had 100k hard miles on it.

I noticed when I was installing the oil inlet fitting they gave me into the oil feed hole that the threads seemed awful loose. I assumed that after the fitting seated I would be able to tighten it. After installing ithe turbo and installing the oil feed line... it was pretty obvious that the thing would not tighten and was stripping. It actually wobbles with side pressure when all the way down. Needless to say, I am livid.

As a disclaimer, I'm 61 years old, been mechanicing and am a full time machinist. I know torque and thread fits. There is something horribly wrong here.

Now I gotta figure out what's actually wrong. Was the turbo tapped wrong? Are there different size inlet threads? They supplied the brand new fitting.

If the fitting is wrong that's an easy fix. If not, it looks like I may have to drill and tap two holes in the flanges of the inlet surface. The ears are there but no holes. Then I can install one of those flange style fittings with two bolts.

One question... with the fitting not able to be tightened, will it leak? Is there much pressure there?

BTW Industrial Injection communication is horrible. They shipped late, never called me or emailed any communication. Any communication had to be initiated by me. I had to call for a tracking number. When I received the turbo there was no paper work. No invoice. Had to call for that.

Thanks in advance