5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

california smog

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Cp3
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default california smog

Hello guys, I'm the proud owner of a 03 single cab 4x4, complety stock aside from a 2micron glacier diesel filter kit and a mbrp 5" kit. I bought the truck 2 years ago so now its time to do the smog (visual) test, truck was straight pipe, first year I had no problem doing the dmv thing, now it is different, long story short, I bought a used dodge converter and now all the smog shops in Sacramento won't smog my truck, there are some numbers (small dots stamped) on the cat converter but I'm not sure if those are the EO number or what, there was also a number like 4 digits long in yellow marker but it is so faded it is not readable at all, all the smog shops are wary of that and won't smog my truck, my registration is void as of now and I'm afraid to use my truck but I need it as is my primary vehicle.

PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, BUYING A $1500 EXHUST FROM THE DEALER IS NOT AND OPTION, I WAS TOLD TO CALL THE BAR REFEREE BUT I'M AFRAID THEY WOULD IMPOUND MY TRUCK, ALL THE SHOPS SAY ITS ILLEGAL TO SELL/INSTALLED USED CATALYC CONVERTERS BUT EVERYBODY IS SELLING THEM ON CRAIGSLIST ANYWAY.

PM WITH ANY HELP OR INFO.
MUCH APPRECIATED.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Im sorry to say, but it looks like the smog-police has got you by the ***** You may just have to bite the bullet and see what the stealership has to offer. I lived in CA. for 34 years and Ive dealt with the "referee" several times, and its not as bad as it sounds. They are an excellent information source, and they can actually help you in your situation. The previous owner is at "fault" for "modifying the exhaust"...not you. Just tell them youre trying to make it right. They will work with you.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Cp3
Diesel Fan

Thanks, I have an appointment with BAR referee for next week, hopefully they can pass it or confirm that it is indeed a stock dodge converter I have on there, I went to another smog shop to ask a question about what exactly they look for as far as numbers, the guy said stock oe parts Don't have a number and if they do like the new ones it is a small sticker that usually falls off in the first couple thousand miles, he was gonna smog and pass my truck but when he check on the system he saw that the other shop put "tampered", so the guy said he couldn't figured out why he did that. So I got screw. Doesn't look too good for me. WelWe see.
thanks

Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Diesel Bomber

The "Referee" should be able to clear that up for you. Please, let us know with an update, on how it all went for you. Im sure others in your position would like to know.

Just a short story on the wildest thing I did in California. 35 years ago, I had a 2-door 1977 Chevy Nova with a 305 V8, with smog **** galore. I built a tunnel rammed, dual carbureted, big cammed 426 ci "Gorilla" chevy engine from a chevy 400 ci engine out of a truck. I turned my car into a "pro street" looking beast. No smog crap whatsoever!
My secret was the fact that my engine burned "Methanol Alcohol". When it was done, I trailered it to the Referee BAR Station, and those guys flipped out and pretty much said Hell No. But after explaining that it ran on Alcohol, and it had a complete alky fuel system, they inspected it, confirmed it, and issued me a "Smog-Exempt" Certification. There were 5 Technicians looking the car over at the time. Afterwards, I was able to drive that thing legally on the street, with full legal registration. Tho, I got pulled over a lot by the popo, but after proving the certification, they always let me go with no issues. At that time I could buy Methanol Alcohol for .96 cents a gallon. True story....

The following users liked this post:
rocket1949 (12-28-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Cp3
Diesel Fan
Default Finally done

Well I guess I forgot to let you guys know how it went with the bar referee, long story short I had to get a new stock down pipe and a new catalyc converter that I was very fortunate to score a new old stock from a guy, so $1000 later I was able to clear the truck.
DO NOT use a hacked or welded, or do not weld your new catalyc to your exhaust pipes, use clamps or whatever is close to original from the factory.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Diesel Bomber

Hey, congrats on that! Glad ya got it straightened out. I bet ya feel pretty darned good about it. Well now ya have options. You can switch out your straight pipe system, with your new catted system every 2 years.......that is if ya wanna! Luckily I still have my catted down pipe stored away, intact just in case our great republic of Texas goes to smogging our diesels. BTW, Ive been out of Commie fornia for 7 years now....do they still require smog checks every 2 years, or has that changed???

Old 11-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Cp3
Diesel Fan

Yup, still visual emmissions equipment every two years.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:35 PM
Diesel Bomber

Hopfully they wont go yearly like here in Texas. But there is no real inspection for diesels. They just confirm it is diesel and do the ppwk. That's it! Easy-peasy..........