5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2005 NV5600 Shifting Issues, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 NV5600 Shifting Issues, Please Help!

Truck is a 2005 ram 3500 2wd w/ nv5600. Had my truck retuned near the end of June, so I needed to replace my clutch due to slipping under heavy load. I purchased a complete South bend 3250 clutch w/ SB Hydros and did the install with my diesel mechanic friend. Everything went together as it should have, spent a total of 2.5 hours aligning the clutch, tightening and torqueing the pressure plate, then installing the trans. Tranny slide right up to the engine with no issues. Dropped the truck back on the ground and fired her up for a test drive. Pedal felt great, engagement was fantastic and smooth as glass, shifter felt great. It was like this for about 2 weeks, during which I did the SB break in of 500 miles city driving only. Then around July 5th I left with the truck for a cross country trip to California. Once I got into Los Angeles after 1600 miles, I started having issues with the tranny, and still have them to this day, been home for 2 weeks now.

Trans is IMPOSSIBLE when trying to get in gear after sitting in neutral with clutch engaged, takes almost 10 seconds before truck will go in 1st or 2nd gear from a stop.
It's fine if I keep clutch depressed when slowing down, trans goes right into gear.
Taking off in first gear is super aggressive, there's no engagement to the clutch, it's either on or off. Taking off in 2nd gear is just as bad, clutch chatters super bad when doing this.
While driving down the road the trans feels super shitty, like I'm moving the stick through a barrel of rocks. It didn't have this issue before I left for Cali. It has a Hurst short throw from Core Shifters, but it felt great when first installed and felt great when the DD was installed.
Shifter has an inch of play in any direction, in ant gear.

I've tried tons of research and seen all the theory's; pilot bearing, throwout bearing, fluid change, bad clutch discs, bad floater plate, bad pressure plate, bad hydros, leaking hydros, bad synchros, etc. I really need some help diagnosing this problem without pulling the trans unless it's necessary, I've already checked my hydros, they are not leaking with good fluid level, bout a 1/4in above the step in the reservoir. Just have no idea, pressed pedal down to start truck once day in gear, and the truck barely rolled down the hill until I pulled it out of gear. Friend did the same thing in his driveway, except the truck didn't move when the pedal was pressed, he had to yank the stick out of gear to get it to roll.

I just find it hard to believe something is wrong with any of the new clutch components that were installed, theres only 6000 miles on all components, with 3200 being all highway. Gonna try a fluid swap with Pennzoil Synchromesh and a bottle of the Mopar Limited Slip Diff additive, then put a stock shifter back on and see what happens. But if that doesn't help, should I just pull the trans and inspect everything? What about the engagement issues with the clutch? How good is southbends warranty/customer service if anything is fucked up inside the bell housing? Really hoping somebody has had my same issues and found the perfect fix for it. Please please help me.

Last edited by GT_Eleanor; 07-26-2017 at 09:53 PM.