5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New guy from Oregon with a problem today

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from Oregon with a problem today

I'll do so searching, but if anyone wants to chime in directly I would appreciate it. 2006 Ram 2500 all stock with the exception of Exhaust, cold air intake, and Edge EZ. 243k miles....

Sooo driving back home to Oregon today from Nor-Cal all is doing great as usual until major run ability problems. Here where the conditions. Cruise control set @ 70mph, 90 degrees outside, just above 1/4 tank fuel remaining since fill up in Willitis Ca. Running empty NOT hauling or towing.
So here's what happened. was blasting along, than than a huge kick like a massive cyl dump miss, than starts bucking and missing bad, starts pinging real bad, I cancel the cruise and give it 3/4 throttle the truck takes off into run-away mode gets to 85mph , large black smoke. I was about to shut the key off when it stops and calms down, but still missing. So I look at my traffic conditions and decide to lay into see see what happens, I go WOT and get a huge plume of black smoke again and massive detonation(pinging), bucking, cutting out, and again run-a-way. If i brought it down under 60 and low pedal maintenance she cruised fine, but the moment it's put under a load or heavy pedal all would start again, I was able to make it home, but there is a problem. No check engine light, no funny warning lights, water temp normal, oil level normal, and oil pressure normal.
So If anyone knows of a thread here on this please share with me or let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check all your boots, pipes and intercooler. Also look for exhaust leaks.
the oil pressure gauge is fake by the way.