5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for more power for towing and daily driving. Not looking to make a street racer but something that would demand some respect.

I will be adding a smarty or TST to help with that but want to make sure that the mechanical stuff such as turbo, injectors are up to par first.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by SuperTrucker
Who in the world told you that the silencer ring bein removed would cause turbulence in it?! That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard! And by the way, if anyone has problems using a screwdriver to get it out, use two!!! One to pry up on the end of the lock ring and another to go the rest of the way around it....The ring is only in there to make it more :q: driver friendly :q: . It may let a little more air in to the turbo if anything other than noise, something that is designed to last over 350k miles is not goin to be affected by a little more air. Geez. And an awl is a pointed tool that normally has a handle like a screwdriver but with a point on the end instead of a straight or phillips end.

Man I jacked with the darn thing for too long. Used two screwdrivers, an awl, a pick and even a small pry. That ring just wont come out far enough to get underneath it with the other awl or screwdriver. I gave up and gutted my tube. It made a better whistle sound but not much. Getting up there to reach it and see what you are doing is another problem. I had to come up through the bottom through the truck frame and engine to see the darn snap ring opening to see what I was doing. Wish it was on the bottom of the turbo opening so I could see it and reach it better.

Yeah I read that on CF from a few guys. They noted that it caused them to lag on throttle and the whole turbulence deal.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I would suggest an HTB2 62/12 or 14 from HTT. http://www.htturbo.com/ Here is their web site. You can find them for around $1300. Maybe a vendor can help with the pricing.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On takin the ring out, take the top half of your airbox off including the intake tube. Pry out on the part that has a little lip. You need small but strong screwdrivers that have rather small shafts on them. You have to place the first directly in line with the end of the lock ring and pry it up. It may take a few tries, but it will come up. Then take the other driver behind it and move around repeating the process without letting it snap back in place. Go in from the front or passenger side of the truck. Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Diesel Fan

OK....after messing with it again, I was finally able to take out the ring with a shorty screwdriver. Man I love the whistle sound now. It actually gave it a little umpph on take off. I don't know what they are talking about when they said it lagged. Thanks guys!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Nah it just sounded like it gave it more ummphh.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by SuperTrucker
Nah it just sounded like it gave it more ummphh.
Hey don't bust my bubble here.....hahahaa I am happy with it for now. Have to wait and see when I start bombing it with some modules ie. Smarty, Edge, TST Bully dog or something to start having some real fun!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Just got my Juice back with the Hot tuning and it is just plain awesome. I love it. Got to upgrade the rest of the truck to support it though.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SuperTrucker is right. You did not get any gain from the ring removal but your right foot got a little heavier. Now you will have the urge to roll the windows down all the time just to hear the whistle.....