Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Turbos (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/1331-turbos.html)

CumminStrong 04-14-2007 09:56 PM

Turbos

Hello all, I was going to remove my silencer ring but opt not too after reading some guys saying it wasn't a good idea due to turbulence and they later ended up putting it back in. Instead I gutted my torque tube.

What turbo would be a good upgrade for more power that wont break the bank?

Jay

DBogo 04-14-2007 10:07 PM

the silencer ring aint goin to do nothin all it will do is make it sing a little more it wont hurt performance or anything at all

bow2no1 04-14-2007 10:15 PM

hybrid hx35/hx40

CumminStrong 04-15-2007 12:17 AM

I messed with the damn thing for almost an hour and could not get my screw driver to catch and hold that beveled edge to get it out of the grove. I just gave up on it.

The hybrid turbos were a recommendation as a turbo that will give me more power but wont break the bank. Where can I find one? Anyone selling a good turbo here?

Heath 04-15-2007 07:34 AM

If I understood correctly from another when I read this somewhere one other time....The turbos are actually made without the rings. Dodge/Chrysler requested that they be put in to reduce noise.
Can anyone else varify this???

CumminStrong 04-15-2007 01:15 PM

That is exactly what I read too.

My concern now is some are saying the turbulence produced will shorten the life of the turbo and give you a little lag on throttle response on the 03 model. Not sure of other years though.

Guess it would be an excuse to replace the turbo if you did that and its true.

Someone know of a good replacement turbo that isn't so over priced?

DBogo 04-15-2007 01:30 PM

the turbos are made without the ring the only ones that have the ring are the ones on the dodges, due to chrysler requesting it to quiet them up a little bit, no other applications have them, as for removing it i ended up using an awl instead of a screwdriver it worked better due to the point, and as for the HX35/40 hybrid look at HTT they have everything you need

CumminStrong 04-15-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by DBogo (Post 14241)
the turbos are made without the ring the only ones that have the ring are the ones on the dodges, due to chrysler requesting it to quiet them up a little bit, no other applications have them, as for removing it i ended up using an awl instead of a screwdriver it worked better due to the point, and as for the HX35/40 hybrid look at HTT they have everything you need

An awl? Can you show me a pic on that? Thanks!

cerberus60 04-15-2007 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by CumminStrong (Post 14029)
Hello all, I was going to remove my silencer ring but opt not too after reading some guys saying it wasn't a good idea due to turbulence and they later ended up putting it back in. Instead I gutted my torque tube.

What turbo would be a good upgrade for more power that wont break the bank?

Jay

How much power? What are you gonna use it for?

A cheap upgrade would a stock take off from 04.5+ truck. It will allow to push some more fuel and build a but more power with spending a lot of $$$.

SuperTrucker 04-15-2007 09:23 PM

Who in the world told you that the silencer ring bein removed would cause turbulence in it?! That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard! And by the way, if anyone has problems using a screwdriver to get it out, use two!!! One to pry up on the end of the lock ring and another to go the rest of the way around it....The ring is only in there to make it more :q: driver friendly :q: . It may let a little more air in to the turbo if anything other than noise, something that is designed to last over 350k miles is not goin to be affected by a little more air. Geez.:duh3: And an awl is a pointed tool that normally has a handle like a screwdriver but with a point on the end instead of a straight or phillips end.