5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2005 Cummins WON'T START..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cummins WON'T START..

Hello! I am new to this forum and appreciate your help in advance! My story:

I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Single Cab. I have owned the truck for about 5 months now and it runs like a top.. Until yesterday. So, started the truck in morning, ( fuel guage reading 1/2-1/4 tank), let idle for 10-20 mins, which I normally do got in it, put about 50 miles on it and shut it down. I was at an auction when I shut it down and I parked on a slight incline (so the rear of the truck was lower than the front). So, I proceeded with the auction and 4-5 hours later, got in the truck and fired up fine. I let warm up again for 5-10 min. Then tried to pull out. I had the truck in 2wd, so I obviously started spinning. No problem, put in 4wd and gave her fuel to get out. It smoked black when I got on it. I pulled up and put in park to talk with a buddy, idling there for 2 mins fine. Got back in backed up, proceeded down the driveway and when I started to accelerate, she bogged down on me and shut off. So I put it back in park and tried starting it up again, lots of cranking but it eventually started. So I proceeded to road, and same thing happened at the end of driveway. Tried starting, nothing this time. Probably a fuel filter I thought. So I ran and got a fuel filter, took old, dirty one out and put new one in. Following a YouTube video, I primed the filter by switching the key on 5 times, tried starting, still nothing. So took filter back out, and discovered no fuel to filter compartment. Then thought, maybe the truck doesn't have any fuel in it! (Even though the guage was reading 1/4-1/2 tank). So I got a rollback, loaded it up and headed to the diesel station. Put about 7-8 gal in truck. And brought it back to the house. I let the truck sit all night, and in the morning, tried to prime the filter again with the new fuel in it. Tried to start and just cranking. No start. Checked filter compartment and yet again no fuel. Any help is appreciated..

Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 PM

Silly question but it's happened before:
Did you close the drain valve on the filter housing?

After that, can you hear the pump "buzz" for about 30 seconds after you bump the key in the start position?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Diesel Fan

Make sure all fuel lines are tight just so you dont suck air and lose the prime back to the tank.