5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Surging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging Issue

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out here. Truck is an 03 with around 189k on it. I was having trouble getting her started when it was cold out unless plugged in, even if the temp was 50 I would still have to plug in. Figured it was injectors and decided to do some up grades. Ordered an airdog, 100hp injectors and 62mm turbo. Installed the injectors and airdog at same time. Was super clean and careful installing injectors, everything torqued to spec. After that truck started right up. Problem was that it now surged at constant speed. Idled smooth, accelerated like a rocket, but at constant speeds it surged. Thought maybe stock turbo was the problem, so swapped that out, no change. Did some research, thought maybe apps so recalibtated that, no change. Set Smarty back to stock, no change. Change spring in airdog to higher pressure spring, no change. The only other thing I can think of is the stock cp3 can keep up, but then why would idle and accelerate fine and only surge at constant speed? It's driving me nuts. Also checked for codes and got 0839 and 0837, but I think they have something to do with the 4wd. Sorry for the long post. Any ideas on solutions would be much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jrshomeimp
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out here. Truck is an 03 with around 189k on it. I was having trouble getting her started when it was cold out unless plugged in, even if the temp was 50 I would still have to plug in. Figured it was injectors and decided to do some up grades. Ordered an airdog, 100hp injectors and 62mm turbo. Installed the injectors and airdog at same time. Was super clean and careful installing injectors, everything

torqued to spec. After that truck started right up. Problem was that it now surged at constant speed. Idled smooth, accelerated like a rocket, but at constant speeds it surged. Thought maybe stock turbo was the problem, so swapped that out, no change. Did some research, thought maybe apps so recalibtated that, no change. Set Smarty back to stock, no change. Change spring in airdog to higher pressure spring, no change. The only other thing I can think of is the stock cp3 can keep up, but then why would idle and accelerate fine and only surge at constant speed? It's driving me nuts. Also checked for codes and got 0839 and 0837, but I think they have something to do with the 4wd. Sorry for the long post. Any ideas on solutions would be much appreciated.
stock cp3 will hold up fine unless you have a very agressive tune and have the pedal to the floor. I run 100hp sticks with Fass and stock cp3 no problem. If it didn't do this and have the code before you installed the new items I think it would be related to the code. The PCM will do some strange things if it gets pissed off. Check all your grounds and battery connectors/trans connectors. Maybe something got bumped or not tight enough on accident

Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by CumminsCoalRoller24/7
stock cp3 will hold up fine unless you have a very agressive tune and have the pedal to the floor. I run 100hp sticks with Fass and stock cp3 no problem. If it didn't do this and have the code before you installed the new items I think it would be related to the code. The PCM will do some strange things if it gets pissed off. Check all your grounds and battery connectors/trans connectors. Maybe something got bumped or not tight enough on accident
Yeah, engineered, who I got the sticks from said the stock cp3 would be fine. Thing is I had those codes before the upgrades. I did clean the maf sensor with carb cleaner when I did the injectors. Maybe using the cleaner messed it up? I'm stumped here. I can see the boost gauge moving in rhythm with the surge.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jrshomeimp
Yeah, engineered, who I got the sticks from said the stock cp3 would be fine. Thing is I had those codes before the upgrades. I did clean the maf sensor with carb cleaner when I did the injectors. Maybe using the cleaner messed it up? I'm stumped here. I can see the boost gauge moving in rhythm with the surge.
is it at one constant speed or any speed? Maybe TC could be locking/unlocking intermittently- trans been rebuilt?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Seems to be at any speed. Trans is firepunk street and track with maybe 10k on it. Also does it in cruise and when od is off.