5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension question

Thinking about doing a different rear suspension setup. I have a stock 2005 dodge ram 2500. I was thinking of pulling out some of or replacing the rear spring with some lighter duty ones. Then adding airbags to recover the drop in the body and hauling ability. I would then add over the top traction bars to counter the torsion from removing or replacing the spring. Do you guys see any issues in this design? The truck has to drive well in town and on the highway, pull a loaded horse trailer, and be able to drive through rough pasture land. I'm looking to improve the ride without hindering my ability to haul. I also want over the top traction bars to not lower my clearance under the truck. Thank for your input!
​​​​​​
​​

Old 01-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't help with doing overhaul like you are mentioning. I noticed a huge improvement in ride of my 06 by swapping factory shocks for Bilstein 5100s and tweaking air pressure in rear tires. Not sure how smooth your looking for but these small changes made a big difference for me!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CumminsCoalRoller24/7
Can't help with doing overhaul like you are mentioning. I noticed a huge improvement in ride of my 06 by swapping factory shocks for Bilstein 5100s and tweaking air pressure in rear tires. Not sure how smooth your looking for but these small changes made a big difference for me!
Thanks for the input! If you noticed a difference on those small changes hopefully this will lead to bigger results. I want it to be atleast as smooth as a 1500. I have had 2 2500 before this and both drove like grain trucks in the pasture land. I am an engineering student so I have actually gone over the diagrams of this setup and ran the calculations and nothing seems out of order. But all the calculations in the world sometimes don't match up to personal experiences.