5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Cutting in and out WOT from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting in and out WOT from a stop

Hey everyone want to say thanks in advance

I have a 03 Cummins early 250hp SO 4x4 with a Edge CtS2 Hot unlock built auto 4in turbo back exhaust

I just installed the edge about 2 months ago and when I have it on levels 3 and up it has trouble sometimes going above 15k rail pressure when getting on it passing someone or speeding up on the freeway

NO CODES

I also have a problem when 3/4-WOT from a stop it feels like it is running out of fuel cuts in and out so I let off of the throttle and get back into it it takes off throws you back like its suppose to. Only Happens when flooring it from a stop.

It rained yesterday Tried spinning the tires so I tried flooring it from a stop and it takes off starts cutting in and out and will not brake the tires lose.

What I have tested and tried
~has around 5300 idle Rp and goes up to around 15k rail pressure when taking off from a stop and just sits around there like a rev limiter almost. I let off the throttle get right back into it and it jumps to about 22k RP and takes off

boost I can hit 35psi easy

~Freeway driving 4 5 or 6 setting I give it wot and sometimes it sits around 15k RP and goes smoothly but very sluggish and no take off. And sometimes it gets 20k RP and takes off like crazy

~ I have changed the boost sensor and FCA
~ I have RE-Torqued the Injector Tubes 40lbs
~ Changed Fuel Filter
~ Fuel Supply Is at 10psi idle and will drop to 3psi wot

when it finally takes off like its suppose it will take off hard and supply psi will suck down to zero and stay there but still pulls hard

Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 PM

I went to 2 different diesel shops and both different answers

1st shop said lift pump because it sucks to zero which I agree.
BUT when it is surging from take off at a stop light it has 3psi and when it actually takes off like crazy it drops to zero psi but pulls hard

2nd shop said injectors are bad and need to cap one by one and check return. okay maybe but I have no idle smoke no start up smoke and it drives great if under 3/4 throttle.

he said if I have an injector leaking pressure it will never build rail pressure that I will need. Sounds Convincing.... but not 2900$$$ convincing

Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattrich67
I went to 2 different diesel shops and both different answers

1st shop said lift pump because it sucks to zero which I agree.
BUT when it is surging from take off at a stop light it has 3psi and when it actually takes off like crazy it drops to zero psi but pulls hard

2nd shop said injectors are bad and need to cap one by one and check return. okay maybe but I have no idle smoke no start up smoke and it drives great if under 3/4 throttle.

he said if I have an injector leaking pressure it will never build rail pressure that I will need. Sounds Convincing.... but not 2900$$$ convincing
I would think it is fuel pump more so than injector. I would see if they can hook the scanner up to it and see what the balance rates are- they should be within +/- 4% of each other. If they read okay it's likely your pump. If you have one over 100% like 105% that likely that would be the bad injector(s). You should be able to get into a set of new Bosch injectors for about $2k before labor. If you do fuel pump go with an air dog or Fass system for upgraded filtration

The following users liked this post:
Mattrich67 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 PM

I keep thinking to myself a fuel pump.
Another reason I need one for filtration in long run so It can't hurt.

I have an appointment to get the cp3 flow and injectors checked by capping one off at a time and measuring return flow rate.

Last edited by Mattrich67; 01-09-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 PM

I have had this random beep like a seat belt beep but couldnot tell what the heck it was. Today I just so happened to be looking at the dash when it beeped. And it said check gauges but everything looked normal

I noticed today when I had my mac code reader hooked up and was watching live data. I heard that random check gauges and it said on my live data logging my MIL engine light should be on.
No light was on dash
So I checked and nothing showed up on my scanner said no codes
Edge said no codes
Then I tried the key on key off and the dash read done and then --------
How do I find out what the light should be on for?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a similar expiernece with my truck- the wait to start light would kick on and chime 10 times - this was due to excessive return rate from loose connector tube. It only would chime when it was expierencing the extra flow then stop when it was not- I was able to narrow it down by getting P0148 (useless generic fuel code error) and checking RP. Mine would consistently chime on a hill on my way to work when RP would hit about 14k but not go higher as quickly as it should have.

not sure if if it isn't related or not- capping the injectors will help if they know there is an overflow from the injectors but they should be able to just plug up your truck to read the balance rates vs capping

The following users liked this post:
Mattrich67 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM

tomorrow I have an appointment and they are going to do a scan and check return flow and cp3 flow

Old 02-16-2017, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by CumminsCoalRoller24/7
I had a similar expiernece with my truck- the wait to start light would kick on and chime 10 times - this was due to excessive return rate from loose connector tube. It only would chime when it was expierencing the extra flow then stop when it was not- I was able to narrow it down by getting P0148 (useless generic fuel code error) and checking RP. Mine would consistently chime on a hill on my way to work when RP would hit about 14k but not go higher as quickly as it should have.

not sure if if it isn't related or not- capping the injectors will help if they know there is an overflow from the injectors but they should be able to just plug up your truck to read the balance rates vs capping

Thanks for the response.

I think I found out my problem. I was reading and found out I have the 47re and that they put torque management software on early 03s
They make a BD RAD Speed eliminator that stop the ECM from defueling from hard takeoffs or power braking l.