5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 Cummins stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Cummins stuttering

Hello new the the page! Anyways I have searched everywhere for my issue and have came up empty so please help if you can. Have a 03 dodge 2500. About 3 weeks ago the lift pump went out. So I decided to install a airdog 150 fuel system. Everything was great up until 2 days ago when it started sputtering out on me. Just driving it would just cough or hiccup like it wasn't getting fuel. It would never stall out just cough. It seems like the pump stop pumping. At idle it purrs like a kitten. I do have a smarty Jr. and I have checked codes and I'm getting none. It ran perfect up until weds. One thing I have noticed is the air dog is quiet now before I could hear it inside the truck when idling now I can't hear it at all. When I turn the key forward to start its loud and you can hear it pumping fuel. Do I need to change the fuel pressure spring or something? I'm completely lost I have went over my connections moved the power and ground around. I can't figure it out. I have called airdog and have t gotten a return call yet. Any help would be awesome. Other than the smarty Jr. it has a intake and that's about it nothing crazy.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

To start, get a fuel pressure. Air dog is not known for having great pump motors. Some guys never have issues, some guys only have issues. You decide if you want to just hook up a gauge, or if you want to install one, I would opt to install one.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is what I found. When I installed my highflow tube in the tank I cut it at an angle. I had about 1/4 tank and turned left and then it cut out but kept running. I bled air off the seperator already and it didn't help. So I thought this time I'd remove the actual fuel filter just to see if for some random chance it was plugged up. Keep in mind I only had the system on for about 2 1/2 weeks. I reinstalled the filter checked all my connections again. Started the truck and went and drove it for almost an hour. Getting in and out of the throttle and nothing happened. It ran like it did last week great perfect no more cutting in and out. I guess my question now is should I get a new flow tube and not cut it at an angle? What are the chances there was a air pocket in the filter itself? If that was the case the truck under load would suck the filter dry and the pump couldn't fill it fast enough being it was not always full considering the air pocket. But as of right now everything seems to be working pretty good.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

it sounds like you tank was too low and it wasnt able to suck up enough fuel. you can put a new tube in the tank if you want, or just make sure you tank doesnt get 1/4 or lower.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with the post above- I've been looking at putting in an airdog/Fass and have been recommended by buddies and guys at shops to install a sump kit to prevent the 1/4 tank issue- either keep the tank topped off or get a sump kit for about $120 and you can rest easier once that fuel needle drops below half tank!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

all the problems with draws straws and 1/4 tank issues you would think that it would be obvious what NOT to do.

Get a new canister and plumb it correctly so you don't loose fuel on the pickup.