5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2005 Cummins 5.9 - Loss of power, stalling, low rail pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cummins 5.9 - Loss of power, stalling, low rail pressure

Truck always starts fine. Has begun to "sputter/stall" when I put it in drive and give it gas. Will intermittently stall at various speeds; almost always after letting off of the accelerator rapidly.

Recently, the tachometer "stuck" for a few seconds at 2,000 rpm (even though engine didn't) then the fuel gauge went from full to empty and back to full (has only happened once).

Will occasionally stall while in park at idle, seems to be affected by slope (i.e. going downhill).

Looses all power at high speeds and often will not downshift out of overdrive when I step on accelerator to pass etc.

Looses rail pressure after truck has run for a while (as low as 4-5k when at WOT according to my BlueDriver reader)

No codes thrown recently. FCA has been replaced. Fuel filter and air filter have been changed.

Past codes: P0500, P0251

Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

TRY CLEANING ALL YOUR GROUNDS!!
Unplug your FCA and see what it does then plug it back in! Should recover in less than 10 seconds!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned all grounds and battery terminals. Unplugged FCA and it recovered. Took it to a diesel mechanic and they did some trouble shooting. Pulled & Tested all injectors and they all failed; 3 of them failed severely. One of the crossover tubes was very loose as well. Replaced all 6 injectors and all crossover tubes and the truck has never run better. All problems were resolved! Thanks for the help

If anyone needs any diesel engine repair work done in Nashville go to Diesel Power, LLC. I was very satisfied with the entire experience.

Last edited by TreyWilson; 01-06-2016 at 08:34 PM.