5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

04 has started very slight but weird idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 has started very slight but weird idle

My truck has always ran perfect and just the other day I was sitting out side letting it idle and it was such a slight sound I almost thought I was just hearing stuff but it's doing a lil sporadic idle it's very faint but just curious if it's a sensor or what I can do to fix it. The injectors should be good and injection pump is almost new and I check the fuel in my airdog it seems fine ..... What y'all think

Old 12-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Normal but check all your grounds make sure they are clean!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yep I'm pretty sure it's grounds there a lil nasty !! Ima clean all electronic stuff tomorrow

Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok so I went threw most of the grounds and still no fix it runs fine when I put in drive but only in idle and when I let off the throttle when driving does it do the slight sputter and what not its doesn't show up on ramp gauge but I definitely hear it cause I no my truck and what it normally sounds like .... This might help y'all I checked for codes even tho it didn't have a check engine light and it said I have a p2509 . It's really weird how it just happened outa no where and only doesn't it in idle and when I let off the gas it sounds like it's almost about to cut off from no fuel like old power strokes do but then gos to normal . The cp3 is like a couple months old and i baby it so If anyone has any other ideas it be great... I was wondering if it could be the sensor on the cp3 ??? Or bad battery's idk

Old 12-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Anyone .

Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just an electrical voltage thing. I had the same problem and once I got new batteries I was all good. Could possibly be your alternator is going out too. My cheap fix was 35$ irrigation batteries with no warranty. Test your batteries and see if they're still good and if not, and your positive all battery and ground connections are clean it will most likely be your alternator.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok well I found out what it was !!!! I was throwing these other codes for my fan and I saw that the wire was cut and y'all told me it had to be some type of voltage issue so I figured it had to be this so I spent the **** a## money and bought a new one and sure enough it fixed everything So if u ever get any codes like this check ur fan wire or check the voltage cause from what I've heard it's a very very common problem . I recommend everyone go ahead and buy some type of metal sleeving or some how get it tied outa the way that way u save ur self 150 to 200 dollars Thank you everyone for the help to