5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

smarty jr safe for stock 48re tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Regcabguy
I'd follow jkidds advice.
Only if you want to apply a couple band-aids and get a few more miles out of it before it fails.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 01-04-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That and adjusting your torque management to stock should buy time but nothing like a teardown/beefup.
I had a DTT in my 24v. I didn't relish another $4500 this time around,thus the G-56.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak27
I do plan on upgrading the tranny, but would like to know what will run well with the truck and the tranny for the time being.
Yes, it will. That is the danger, it runs so good it hard to control the right foot. If you could drive it the same way as you would a stock trans you would likely have good luck with it on all but the highest tune on a JR.

With a shift kit, billet band strut, billet front servo cover, and billet accumulator you will address 95% of the failure issues with enhanced power up to around 500 HP. As long as you don't bag on it constantly, race it, or just generally drive like a maniac the chances are good it will last another 100k.

The GM style solenoid and gov housing won't raise any pressures, just work more consistently with stock and higher pressures. That in itself is a positive as the shuttle shift is hard on the front band and direct clutch pack which are the weak points. You need the other pieces to enhanced the lifetime but it should be included.

The more pressure you can run on the apply circuits the longer the clutches will last, but, the 5.0 apply lever and high pressure is hard on the weak stock front band. Stay away from the super servo in the front servo until you can change out the lever, and, if you do break the front band you can get a stronger slip in band to keep going.