5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

ATS Junk

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATS Junk

I had ATS install their stage 3 transmission package in my2004 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4. My stock transmission had 105,000 mile on it pulling a5th wheel and other heavy loads most of its life and I was gettingnervous about how long it would last. The ATS transmission was a problem from thebeginning. At the time I owned a 5th wheel and the first time I wentto pull it the stall was so low I could not get the rig to move. I took the truckback to ATS and they reworked the torque convertor while having the truck for 3days. This was repeated at least 4 times before they got the stall correct fortowing. From day one I had problems getting the shift lever to go into and outof the park position. I was told that due to the new parts in the transmissionthat it was tight and would improve over time. It did not improve. Also the 5 startorque convertor was quite noisy and I was told that was due to the multiplediscs and was normal. Shortly after I felt the transmission was as good as itcould be I pulled the 5th wheel to AZ, lived it for a while and soldthe 5th wheel. Since thattime the truck has been my daily driver and only occasionally has pulled a6,000 lb. trailer. I do not hot rod or run the truck hard at all. While pullingmy 6,000 lb trailer the other day the “billet” input shaft broke causing othertransmission damage with 54,000 miles on the transmission. I called ATS and wastold “no warrantee” on the shaft. I took the truck to a local diesel repairshop and was told the transmission had a 47 input from a gas truck. I calledATS again and was told their billet shaft was smaller diameter as it had toflex. The repair shop had ordered an ATS billet input for another customer andit measured .140” larger in diameter than my broken one. ATS claimed that wasnot possible. When they took my ATS torque convertor to a local convertor rebuildshop they snickered as they see so many bad ATS convertors. They found a bentplate inside of the convertor. Now that the truck is back together with aSONNAX input the transmission shifts in and out of park much better, the torqueconvertor is quieter and it performs as it should have from the beginning. ATS I believe scammed me and there warranteeis worthless especially when their transmission did not last ˝ as long as stockunder much lighter towing use.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They definitely have their fair share of lemons. I have a buddy who's ran ats in his 400hp 12 valve that's a daily driver and constantly pulls trailers and it's still holding strong and it's been about 4 years. Also met a guy who got an ats 120 from my town and it went out before he got here. Got a new one under warranty and made it about 20 miles before getting towed back and buying a stock replacement and apparently that made it far enough he didn't have to call our wrecker to tow him again. So they have their good and their bad. With what I've seen I honestly have no clue how they have their reputation. Just my opinion.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Great 1st Post! Shill.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddies had the same issue there parts are worthless and that's a fact cause 3 of my friends use to run ats full built trans and they all would break with out even being on the track they all switched to sun coast and they have never had a single problem which makes me definitely want one when I save the money I normal don't talk trash about people products but when u buy a 7000 dollar transmission and its in the shop 3 weeks outa each month that's not right and I don't think they should advertise such high hp rating on the trans when they break going 50 down a highway at 2000 rpm smh. If u ask me ATS stands for Are Trans Suck !!!