5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Exhausted looking at mufflers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhausted looking at mufflers.

First post here! Awesome forum here. Just have a couple questions.

We acquired a 05 ram 3500 quad cab short box. We want to do a muffler just to give it a little attitude and sound. We don't want it too loud. So no straight pipe.

Second question, is there a 02 sensor in the exhaust somewhere? I was told there was and there wasnt, can't get a straight answer.

Last question. Is the exhaust 4 inches from turbo back come factory or does it change.

The plan is a cat delete, muffler and a turn down tip.

As far as planned upgrades. Cold air, muffler, smarty, and maybe some slightly bigger injectors along with a tranny upgrade kit.

Thanks all!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I had to answer because your name made me laugh! My son is bacon lover on Minecraft!
NO there is no 02 sensor
Any of the name brand mufflers is better than what's on there! As for sound you'll have to hear a few trucks!
04 up is 4" pipe standard
As far as the deletes depends where you are CA is a no no!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
I had to answer because your name made me laugh! My son is bacon lover on Minecraft!
NO there is no 02 sensor
Any of the name brand mufflers is better than what's on there! As for sound you'll have to hear a few trucks!
04 up is 4" pipe standard
As far as the deletes depends where you are CA is a no no!
I'm just a big man who loves there bacon and ham!

Finally a clear answer about the 02 sensor, im in oregon where they are pretty generous as far as emission for 3/4 ton and up diesels. Which is aweaome. Is a exhaust kit really a must if im only going to add a little power or will a cat delete and muffler be plenty (trying to keep it inexpensive if I can!).

Sweet they come stock with 4 inch. Can't wait to do this!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No O2 sensor. Removing the cat won't enhance the power just smell up the air more. I've used a Shuttleworth HD diesel muffler,non straight through that spliced right in nine years now. It's a Canadian product. Throaty without any drone and I can speak to my wife in a normal tone.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

My first replacement muffler was an MBRP 4 inch diesel muffler, and I ditched the kitty, and that combo sounded really sweet. I ran that combo for 7 years. Nice throaty sound. My neighbor has as 05 dodge ctd as well, and he went with Magnaflow 4 inch diesel muffler and also ditched the kitty. Its sounds just as sweet. Throaty mellow sound at part throttle, but floor it and others will know it. You will decrease EGTs and pick up some horsies to boot.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:12 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Regcabguy
No O2 sensor. Removing the cat won't enhance the power just smell up the air more. I've used a Shuttleworth HD diesel muffler,non straight through that spliced right in nine years now. It's a Canadian product. Throaty without any drone and I can speak to my wife in a normal tone.
Eventually Id take it off, it changes the sound just a tad I think.

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
My first replacement muffler was an MBRP 4 inch diesel muffler, and I ditched the kitty, and that combo sounded really sweet. I ran that combo for 7 years. Nice throaty sound. My neighbor has as 05 dodge ctd as well, and he went with Magnaflow 4 inch diesel muffler and also ditched the kitty. Its sounds just as sweet. Throaty mellow sound at part throttle, but floor it and others will know it. You will decrease EGTs and pick up some horsies to boot.
I'm torn between a mbrp muffler and a diamond eye. A longer muffler will reduce decible levels slightly? I'm looking at a 30-31" muffler.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Both mufflers are rather similar, but a bit longer one wont really reduce levels by much If ya want reduced decibel level, but really nice crisp sound, a Donaldson diesel muffler should really fit the bill nicely. The come in various sizes, and not as expensive. PLUS, if ya have a turbo that sings, a quieter muffler will really bring attention to the" song of the turbo"....

Old 12-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
Both mufflers are rather similar, but a bit longer one wont really reduce levels by much If ya want reduced decibel level, but really nice crisp sound, a Donaldson diesel muffler should really fit the bill nicely. The come in various sizes, and not as expensive. PLUS, if ya have a turbo that sings, a quieter muffler will really bring attention to the" song of the turbo"....
I'll probably go for the one that's the best bang for the buck. I want it a little louder, but more importantly, more free flowing. Eventually I want to put a new intercooler and piping. I feel the plastic ends on the stock one is just a poor design.

Thank you all for your help!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.bacon
Eventually Id take it off, it changes the sound just a tad I think.

I'm torn between a mbrp muffler and a diamond eye. A longer muffler will reduce decible levels slightly? I'm looking at a 30-31" muffler.
I helped my friend install a Magnaflow 5" turboback on his '05. He and the neighbors felt it was too loud and it droned under load. He reinstalled his cat partly to reduce the decibels and for smog here in California. Pretty good compromise. Resonators in 4" and 5" are sold if you need to tone it down a bit with whatever you choose.
There's always a 24v too. The loudest Cummins ever made right out of the factory.