5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Just got my first cummins, need info.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first cummins, need info.

Alright three days ago i bought a 04 pretty sure from doing searches on this forum that it is a 04.5 due to a 3-04 manf date, and 325hp on the valve cover. Ive looked like crazy for nearly a year for one of these trucks that hasn't been modified with low miles. Ive had six obs 7.3 PSD, and done all work aftermarket and repair on them myself. I get very confused even with my knowledge on all the cummins lingo, and shortcuts. So my question is can someone please give me the rundown on these vehicles in plain old english, stuff i should look for besides what anybody would know such as trannny issues, blow by, leaks, noises, and so far truck seems perfect and i would like to start to modify. Im thinking of doing a edge juice with attitude, along with a trans temp and air fuel gages. Next would chopping out my muffler (cat if there is on) and straight pipe it with a dump right in front of the rear passenger side tire. After that id like to upgrade my fuel system i don't want to do a intake, because I'm a firm believer in the best filtration not necessarily the best airflow. Was looking into purchasing a Fass titanium series air separation system. Will i need anything other then this to deal with the stock lift pump issue I've rear about so much? thanks to anyone for your help sorry for such a long post but I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright sweet thanks y'all

Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Just read all the posts that your interested in! Gauges first! Straight pipe is annoying after a while!!

Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

X 2 on the gauges first you might want to decide at this point whether you want a programmer with digital gauges or old school pillar post analog gauge set up (ISSPRO or Autometer).
Check to see if the Fass kit comes with a draw straw for the tank. Its better to do this too while the fuel mod is in progress.
And welcome to Diesel Bombers

Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

1. If you're going to mess with ANY hp modification to this truck replace the trans and converter with a built one, or you ARE going to destroy it. Why isn't 325 hp enough? These things pull like goats!

2. Why is everyone so intent on putting one of those stupid "cold air" setups on their trucks? Think about it - in the winter you mileage drops! So what has changed? IT
S COLD OUTSIDE!! The solution? Put a K&N or Airaid filter on it with a piece of 4" exhaust tubing and leave it beside the turbo! You'll have your after market filter and will get better mileage. I guarantee it!!!

3. Buy your fuel at the same place all the time. It's the only way to know you're putting good fuel in the truck.

4. I would put a straight pipe on a lawn mower. The quieter it is the nicer it is to drive. And if you end the exhaust in front of your wheel you're going to blow black soot all over the rear side of the truck.........AND wheel!!! I bought a 4" Diamond Eye exhaust off Ebay for my 2000 and got a muffler and stainless tip for only $289, including shipping. Then I had our Midas shop put a 15" extension on it because it was putting soot all over my rear quarter panel. It's the hot ticket for an exhaust.

5. If it ain't broke why do you think you have to "fix" it???