5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New 2 me 03 5.9 with a couple issues need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New 2 me 03 5.9 with a couple issues need help!

Well I made the jump from the f350 7.3 to the CR 5.9..... it has a diable sport power puck or something on it , and a fass fuel system on it. Previous owner said it just started having an extended start issue. I pulled the codes and it shows 4 codes. P0336 (crank sensor circuit) p0107 (manifold press low) p0073 (ambient air temp low) and a p0192 (fuel rail press sensor circuit low) once started it runs good, it does smoke white quite a bit. I was looking and the power puck plugs into all that stuff.... I planned on trying to pull it off tomorrow to start with. Is there anything else I should be looking for as a problem? I don't feel that it's something electrical. Thanks for your help!

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 05:38 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Welcome to Diesel Bombers.
how much white smoke are we talking about?

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
Welcome to Diesel Bombers.
how much white smoke are we talking about?
It's fairly bad, deff not a normal cool morning white haze. I reset the computer last night, it started this morning alot better after I cycled the key a few times before trying. I drove it this morning got it to temp and no engine light. It fires right up on starting fluid. Sitting at a stop light it smokes pretty good but going down the road it seems to drive fine and have power. I just don't want to drop 1800 bucks and it not fix the issue.thank you for the reply I really need to figure this out. I got the truck for a pretty good deal so putting a little cash into it won't hurt, it's rust free and other than a possible injector issue it's a solid truck so far.

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:41 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

"It fires right up on starting fluid." LOL So you need injectors for sure and possibly a fuel rail press sensor! Clear the codes and see what comes back!
Smoking at a light is bad news! Do a blow by test : Unscrew the oil cap and place it on the hole does it sit there or fly off?

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 06:28 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
"It fires right up on starting fluid." LOL So you need injectors for sure and possibly a fuel rail press sensor! Clear the codes and see what comes back!
Smoking at a light is bad news! Do a blow by test : Unscrew the oil cap and place it on the hole does it sit there or fly off?
It has some blow by , I already cleared codes and nothings come back. Truck runs smooth at idle, the smoke clears up while driving for the most part. There really no notice of power loss. Everything seems to be good except the white smoke. I ordered injectors and will put them in today. I sure hope it fixes it, I need it to last another 6-8 months until I can get another one built. I don't use starting fluid, PO said it did.

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Just wondering if its coolant burning what kind of fumes do you get out of the exhaust is it wet? or dry? does it have a smell of strong diesel?

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Diesel Bomber

^^^^ Good question! CUmmins are notorious for compensating a bad cylinder so it runs smooth UNTILL A PISTON MELTS! When you pull the injectors take the time to boroscope the cylinders and see if anything is melted! I bet you are getting really bad fuel mileage too!

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Diesel Fan

^^^^ Good question! CUmmins are notorious for compensating a bad cylinder so it runs smooth UNTILL A PISTON MELTS! When you pull the injectors take the time to boroscope the cylinders and see if anything is melted! I bet you are getting really bad fuel mileage too!
Actually fuel mileage isn't really that bad. I'm on my way to the shop to pull the injectors. If I see anything further I'll probably hold off on the injectors haha. I'm just praying that it's still healthy enough to run for a little while longer on some new injectors. Idk if I can swing a motor right now..... but if it is I'll atleast have the 1800 I would have spent on the injectors to put towards a motor. Can I use a earlier 24v bottom end with my CR head. There's a earlier 24v local for around 2k if it's compatabile that would be my fall back plan! This cummins is alot different than my ol ford was so I'm learning all the differences as I go. The ford was about to need injectors, hpop, clutch , I was only about half way through the rest of the truck, needed paint blah blah blah so I picked this up and it may only need a motor at worst..... Thank you guys again for the help. I've been looking for the way to compression check this thing and I really can't find anything, can I use a standard compression test kit?

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Diesel Fan

When I start it after sitting all night it starts up and smokes a second after the extended crank and it doesn't smoke until warmed up...

geatgavi (06-13-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Diesel Bomber

Don't worry about a compression test till after you look and yes there is a tool for that!
Early 24v is not compatible with CR 2003 - 2004 for you!

geatgavi (06-13-2015)

Quick Reply: New 2 me 03 5.9 with a couple issues need help!