5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Runs hot while plowing and towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs hot while plowing and towing

My truck runs hot with
My plow on while lugging up hills. It hits 230-240 degrees at times. And while towing my camper ill hit 210+ and while idling after parking the trucks stays hot. I put on a new fan clutch with no difference. I'm also th roughing three codes p0071, p0243 and p0602. Any advice. Thank you

Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

IS the radiator full of coolant? Shine a light through the fins to see if they are blocked.
These motors never run hot unless there is an issue! I got 2 bucks on a blown head gasket.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Check two things first on the radiator,internally or xternally restricted water and air passages.Look for debris,dirt and trash.Also ck your thermostat to see if is stuck closed.As well make sure the fan is engaging properly off and on.Radiator caps can be tricki,collapsed hoses,water leaks vapor type that you rarely see,let me know what you find, i ll be glad to help whit this problem.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by dieseltechnician1969
Check two things first on the radiator,internally or xternally restricted water and air passages.Look for debris,dirt and trash.Also ck your thermostat to see if is stuck closed.As well make sure the fan is engaging properly off and on.Radiator caps can be tricki,collapsed hoses,water leaks vapor type that you rarely see,let me know what you find, i ll be glad to help whit this problem.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dieseltechnician1969
Thank you ill check this weekend

Old 09-10-2014, 06:21 PM

I straightened out fins in front of my radiator as best I could and hoses down all the radiators. I then pulled my car trailer with my 33 hp tractor and it was fine down the highway. But while traveling at slow speeds and lugging up hills I hit 212-220 degrees often. It takes a while fir the temps to drop. Is this a flow problem. I have plenty of fluid in my radiator