5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

I'm Breaking Things Again.... G56 Bites The Dust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm Breaking Things Again.... G56 Bites The Dust.

Anyone know somewhere in Texas that can rebuild my G56? Or at least get me parts to do it? 3rd and 4th quit working, 3rd wont go all the way in and pops out, 4th wont even try. I know my syncro for 4th has been starting to go out, but now it acts like its trying to hit a gear while in neutral. Sitting in a parking space, idleing with the park brake set, it started popping, then lurched and stalled the motor. Wasnt touching the clutch, it just started popping. That seems to have quit, but I dont like shifting from 2nd to 5th. And that aint gonna let me tow my 5th wheel on the 5th. A tranny for sale would work too. Any ideas?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

u think it might be that valair dd they aint been out long

Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Diesel Fan

I was there for the install at Val Air. Clutch looks to be way better quality that the SB that blew and took out my original tranny. The next day a buddy got hit in his and it was totaled, so we swapped tranny's before the insurance hauled the truck off, so I lucked out that time. This time I dont know where to look to get this thing fixed asap. The guys at Val Air have been building these clutches for friends who sled pull for several years with supposedly no problems. And they have been building semi stuff for years. They have just recently been marketing their clutch better and getting people to sell them. When I pull the tranny, I guess I will see if there is anything wrong with the clutch. It still seems to work right though. I think I broke a tooth or a shift dog off in the tranny that was causing the hanging. I guess I have been doing to many 3rd gear, 30 psi boost, line lock launches.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Pics of the clutch. Has upgraded hydo stuff as well.

Last edited by Redneck2; 04-29-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well i know a sled puller who bought one that trashed it first hook and was garunteed it wouldnt slip, just sayin i thrashed on my g56 i had with the sbc dd 3850 fb with about 100 4th gear 3500 rpm launches its still was all good the day it was traded(as for the rest of the truk we wont get into )
i just know he hasnt had his dd out very long and didnt know if that could have been the prob
TANNER

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Diesel Fan

I will take a look at it. I dont think it would cause the issues with it catching when Im not in gear though. I know a lot of guys who like SB stuff, but I didnt have good luck with them. This one shifts way faster though. I dont sled pull, just try to lay down times at the strip. And break leaf springs from wheel hop. And U-joints. And trannys too it seems. I might have to quit beating on my daily driver, and build a toy for the fast fun. I do shift hard, and was barking my slicks going into 6th at the track. I just thought I would break an imput shaft first. Oh well, know anyone with a spare G56 laying around in the way?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

call highway auto in brownwood there a huge like nice junk yard

Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan

I'll give them a shot. Thanks.