5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Ford 6.0L swap to 5.9L CR

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford 6.0L swap to 5.9L CR

Well, this past weekend I took my family up to Big Bear in my highly modified 2003 F350 6.0L. Trip went well the first day. The 2nd day the truck barely started. So I read the Forums for a while on my phone, and after 30 minutes, I used a screwdriver and disconnected the ICP connector from the ICP (Injection Control Pressure - sensor). The truck started right up, a bit smoky, but after driving for a few minutes, it ran great.

Anyway, the truck is running, and I have been thinking about replacing the highly modified 6.0L for the 5.9L cummins? This 6.0l engine is very powerful and really nice, but I have been kicking myself about just updating the truck with a modified 5.9L Cummins, so I have a reliable truck, especially when taking my family places far from home. I am not a hater, I have spent lots of time on this baby. I love this truck, but can't afford a new one. And the 5.9L common rail cummins is hard to beat, for reliability and power.

Diesel Conversions will do a freshly rebuilt 5.9L with upgraded injectors/turbo/and tune (<500hp at the flywheel), turnkey for $25k. Also, does anyone have experience shipping a large truck? It appears it is ~$2k to ship from SoCal to Montana, with United Road Services. If anyone has any input, please give it. I have always liked the Cummins, but not the Dodge truck - sorry. I just like the look of the Ford, and have a custom fully billet 5R110 transmission, that would do very nice behind a 5.9L CR.

Duane at Diesel Conversions said a fatshaft (?) turbo and mild injectors, with a mild tune should get 450hp, which would be nice for a daily driver, and reliable. They will dyno the engine and make sure that it needs or not, the upgraded injectors and turbo. He said it would feel more powerful than the 6.0L, because the torque hits at 1600rpm, instead of 2200rpm of the 6.0l. So I would (generally) stay in the lower rpms. And have lots more room in the engine bay.

I am new to the Cummins scene, but would like some input as so what I should do to the new 5.9L for reliability and power, and anything else you could offer. Like I said, I am very knowledgeable about the 6.0L,and I have done most of my own mods on this truck. But I am venturing into new territory here with the Cummins. Thank you for any input you guys can give.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a lot of cash. you could buy a really nice low mileage 3500 ram for that. I'm kinda in the same dilema have an 03 f350 6.0 bulletproofed except for the headstuds. Ilove it 217,000 an since I changed to warren diesel injectors im getting 21+ mpg. Also have an 06 ram 3500 megacab with blown cr cummins and I'm as scared of the cr as I was of the 6.0 before bulletproofing. Seems like the cr has just as many probs. good luck