5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Hard Shift When Taking Left Turns?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hard Shift When Taking Left Turns?

Hey, I have a '06 3/4 Ton Cummins, with the automatic transmission, that's stock, besides the "2nd generation swap kit" with the S&B intake, BorgWarner 63/68/14 turbo, and the Smarty Jr.. with 140,000 miles.
I'm guessing second gear is slipping BUT, I was wondering why it only happens when I take a left turn? For example, I'm at a stop light and then it turns green, and I take a left....first gear seems fine but when it tries to go to second, the RPMs raise a good bit and it feels like it's supposed to shift and it doesn't, then, finally, it does and it's a HARD shift. Have yall ever heard of that? Coming from a right turn, it has no problem. Any suggestions or ideas would be great! I've had the weirdest problems with this truck! Thanks.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The TC has no idea what direction you're turning, only that the front wheels want to spin faster then the rears...

Check the transmission fluid level. Park on level ground after the transmission has warmed up. Put the transmission in neutral and with the parking brake on verify the transmisison fluid level is between the two hot marks on the dip stick, reason being doing it this way. Because Dodge transmissions only pump fluid when they are in a gear other than park. If it smells burnt you have a problem. Before paying thousands of dollars for a rebuild, or a beefed transmission. Have it fully serviced, fluid flush, new transmission filter. If your still having that issue, then you need to take it to a shop.

**Also, I was reading up on another forum. A guy was having the same issue, Transmission control cable, see if a shop can take a look at that as well. They'd be able to adjust it for you **

Last edited by TheyCallMeCountry; 08-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The transmission fluid level is fine, but it is brown, instead of red (unless, it is supposed to get that color over time?)
Ok, might have to do that. I'm going to have my dad look into that control cable. I was going to go ahead and get the transmission rebuilt and beefed up, until the problem was unconsistant. Anyways, I'll look into that. Thank you!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brown? You need to have that transmission serviced. (fluid flush, new trans filter)