5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Duel mass fly wheel vs Solid fly wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duel mass fly wheel vs Solid fly wheel.

My 06 needs a clutch and i dont have the coin for a duel disk South bend clutch so guess Im stuck with stock replacement for now. I found a kit to convert my duel mass set up to solid fly wheel with new clutch and presser plate cheeper the a clutch and presser plate only for the duel mass. My question is what is a better set up as far using it stock. I also dont under stand the duel mass theory so any tips or pointers would help. Im leaning towards the solid because idk if my duel mass is alright after i smoked it out on a truck pull.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dont want to buy the wrong clutch need some input on this

Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 AM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The dual mass dampens transmission and driveline noise. A solid is much stronger (of course), the down side is you will gear some growling noises that the DM was dampening. I popped the center hub of my stock DM at about 400hp.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the stock pressure plate and dual-mass flywheel are the real weak points. there are single-disk replacement units that aren't as pricy as a south bend or valair, but aren't going to hold the same abuse either. if you're pulling regularly, you really need a clutch that'll take it; otherwise you're gonna get really good at replacing it.

spun my stock clutch and grenaded the stock dual-mass flywheel with my smarty on level 3 pulling a 12k enclosed single car hauler from south carolina to louisiana... learned a lot about the stock clutch's limitations the hard way.