5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

06 2500 mega cab hvac with dual climate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 2500 mega cab hvac with dual climate?

Hi to all, this will be a lengthy first post but please bear with me.

I have a 06 2500 Laramie mega cab hvac with dual climate and infinity sound system and have searched and been reading threads on and off for about 3 weeks now and have yet to find a thread with my same truck and system that's also having the same issues. the biggest problem im having is the vent on the right side of the steering wheel and the rear seat under the center console vent has pretty decent air flow, the other 3 dash vents are almost non existent as far as air flow but what does is pretty cool.

here is a bit history, I bought the truck new and took it back to the dealer the next year complaining about the a/c not working good enough but they said "that's all it will do", well just before the warranty was out the nav system went out and it had to go back again and I complained about the a/c that time and got the same story. about a month after the warranty the recirc door broke and fell down on the blower and after getting a quote from the dealer on parts and labor (about $1,000) I decided to fix it myself and bought the updated recirc housing for like $27 but after finding out the dash had to come out I just glued the door in position so that its on recirc all the time which seemed to work out ok but the airflow still just didn't seem right

fast forward to the next summer and I had to replace the dryer and compressor, then that winter the blower fan burnt out, and for the past 2 summers I have just dealt with it, now I have decided to bite the bullet and do whats necessary to get this thing working right once and for all

I would like some suggestions on current fixes or updated parts and part numbers so that I know I have the right/best parts the first time around, Im also thinking of replacing the heater core and evaporator while im in there so that don't end up with a leak as soon as its back together or shortly thereafter.

ok after all the searching/reading ive done on the different forums I found where one guy had a entire updated hvac box installed so I started calling dealers in the area for some prices and they all quoted $112 for a heater core and $339 for the evaporator but for the hvac it seemed mot of them hadn't even heard of it till I ask about it, which didn't really surprise me as none of the dealers around here act like they want to help unless you bought the vehicle from them and the dealer I bought from went out of business about 6 months after my warranty was out.

the shocker was that i was given different prices from each dealer for the updated hvac box, the top half ranged from $179 - $250 and the bottom half ranged from $250 - $380 and when ask if it came with the doors installed some said yes and others said it should and I also ask about the electric motors being included and some said no, some said yes, and some said they would think so

after being quoted from $1,500 - $2,200 for this fix from the different dealers im definantly buying parts and fixing it myself, so here is my plan so far

get heater core and evaporator both from orielly for around $200 total (also may get the doors from oreilly as they are supposed to be stronger with aluminum parts added and have a lifetime warranty but cant find a mega cab listing or anything about dual climate control), and the rest is where I don't know what the best solution would be, im will post the websites Im looking at for parts to fix my current hvac box or should I buy the updated box from the dealer and if so does anybody know the correct part numbers

orielly auto parts
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...006&make=Dodge

heres the dorman website
Dorman Products

heater treater
http://www.heatertreater.net/magento...ram-02-08.html

also I may do the heater core shut off mod and add a condenser cooling fan and was wandering if this fan will work, according to the website its for my truck?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...500&vi=1432342

I know this is a long post but much thanks is given for any info, tips and or suggestions, also i may post this on a couple of other forums just to compare notes and maybe find a dealer tech or parts guy that can verify any part numbers or info i have gotten from local dealers

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the first pic I have seen/found that looked like mine and the arm/lever is hanging out of the box so I put it back in the hole but after I cycled the vents a couple of times it popped right back out

anybody know what holds that arm in place (the one circled in red) or what the repair would be, new door, new new arm, or whole box????????

just trying to get a complete parts list beforehand so when I take it apart I can put it right back and not be without my truck any longer than necessary

im leaning toward the heater treater doors but would like to keep the rear seat vent operational and if possible the dual climate control, if not then I may go with entire upgraded box but would want to make sure I get the right part numbers and but would hate to have to start replacing parts/doors again in a couple of years