5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Possible new truck, Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new truck, Tranny problems

Hello all. My name is Dylan and I am new to the truck community. I am currently switching over from the car scene and need some help. Im looking at trading my car for 06 Ram 2500 diesel. It has 140 K. The owner says in the last 15k Its had completley rebuilt tranny, lift pump, injector pump, alternator, water pump, steering pump and brake pump. ( Hes had it for 2 years and put on barely any miles) It has a 8 inch Rize left kit and 40 inch Pro comp tires. Rear dever 1 Ton Leaf Springs 2" Dom Front Control arms, full exhaust etc. I beleive he has receipts for all this too.

Heres the kicker, After he put the lift and tires on he blew his tranny ( Not sure what exactly happened or broke, going to talk to him later).

He spent the money to rebuild his tranny with no soft parts (dont know what this means) And 10k Later its messed up again and for sale. He says That he was climbing a mountain and it over heated twice, By the time he got to the top tranny fluid was pouring out from the torque convertor. But how could you tell it was from your TC.

What Im wondering is what the truck needs to be safe from transmission problems. Its got a lot of new parts and low Kilometres and is honestly worth quite a bit more then my car.

What do you think might have happened to the transmission? I have a hunch he cooked his TC And just needs a new one. Theoretically the rest of the tranny should be brand new from the first rebuild.

What would this truck need with such big Tires and lift to be strong and able to support it all?

I beleive it needs 4.10s and a strong aftermarket torque converter, but as I said im new to the truck community and would rather ask the experts before I buy this truck. I know a good torque converter from BD only runs around 1400$ thats not so bad to me as he is offering a snowmobile in the trade that i could probably get 2500 for.

Also, If i were to get this, once the tires went id go down to 37s.

Go easy on me

Thanks

Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM

Been doing a lot of reading. I feel like a good tripple or single plate torque convertor, Shift kit and a flex plate Would be a good idea. A rear gear to 4:56 may be in order, Depending on if it has the 3:73s or 4:10s Currently. Opinions? Im guessing my bills gonna be somewhere around 2000 without labour.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Youll also have to consider what kind of power he is putting through the tranny.. I mean ya big tires for the gears... I would think you should be fine with 4:10's cause anything higher is pretty much garbage on the highway imo. My tranny leaks out of the torque converter on mine also but only when im pulling in towhaul... Theres an inspection plate under the torque convertor.. also you gotta remember with dodge when it comes to auto's usually your tanny is the weakest point.. manuals your clutch is usually the weakest point... He may have a built tranny but take this into consideration.. did he beat the living crap out of it n now realizing what's he done he's trying to put it on somebody else?? Just some things to think bout... When it comes to buying trucks I'm always a lil nervous when it comes to lifted trucks... Cause usually people beat on em and beat on em... I would just be a little cautious when buying it.. keep your options open... Sometimes its easier to get one that's not lifted and lift your self.. just food for thought.. id ask him more questions bout that tranny and what gears are in it... and go from there.. if he had the tranny built and is still having issues there might be more to the story..

Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the reply! The transmission was rebuilt by a company. It was by no means built-up or anything. But at the same time it doesn't really have after market upgrades that would push extra power through it. I don't know what would cause a tranny to go after 11k though. All I can think of is th torque converter trying to spin those big tires and over heating. I am also pretty skeptical about buying already lifted trucks but as I said its worth quite a bit more then my car is. I would say my cars worth 13 realistically and this is worth 25 ish fixed. I know he offroaded it but he only owned it for about 16k over the last 2 years he couldn't have beat it too hard. He has over 15 k in receipts for new things on it