5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Suggestions for First Diesel Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for First Diesel Purchase

Hello all,

new to this forum and was hoping to get some insight on a new purchase.

Looking at a used Dodge 06 2500 SLT quad cab diesel. Dealer asking $25600 for it.

Has 100K miles on it. and overall appears to be in well kept shape. No fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch in it.

I will be using it for multiple things really. once and awhile everyday driving, Hauling 5th wheel trailer 16' flat deck mainly round bales of hay. Hauling a 2 or 3 stall horse trailer to shows around my area (2 to 4 hour rides). So its not going to get crazy miles every year or anything like that either.

I was a little put off that it happened to have 100K on it. not sure if that was by chance or since warranty's would all be expired too? Maybe not even an issue.

I have not spoken to the local dealer with it yet but on my short list of research items here is what I have found about these trucks. I am hoping some of the "experts" can verify or help me with anything more I should be looking at in this truck. Its not something I'll be getting rid of in 3 years! Plan to have it at least 5 years so I need that much out of it.

Items I have read that fail on these trucks

1. Front end, bearings and U joints
2. Check fuel filter, looking for filter with better quality than original.
3. don't know how to check the injectors really but if someone could tell me how maybe I could fint out if they are still good or need replacing... Can any tell me the cost of those injectors also?
4. Ask about previous maintenance or history of the truck in general. If the dealer knows any of that info.

Is there anything like an Oasis report for dodge? I know you can get those with Ford.

Thanks for all info and help...

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for First Diesel Purchase-truck.jpg  

Last edited by rox5488; 12-08-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added picture.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Injectors that are quality are going to be $1600 or more.

05-07 injectors are going to last about 120k (average)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't owned a diesel long but I love my 07 5.9 your better off to stay away from dealerships I gave 27 for mine with 52 thousand miles from a private seller ... I've seen this truck at dealerships for 30+ all day with way more miles

Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know the price variances between states but seems maybe a little high I would definitely try to shoot him down on the price if you do get it... Injectors are a hit and miss item you never know when there gonna go the best you can do is make sure you keep up with the simple maintenance of changing the oil and fuel filters often. My truck gets an oil change every 3000 and a new fuel filter its only got 80000 on it its a 2004 just recently purchased it only cost me 23xxx bucks. The best you can do with any diesel is take care of it and hopefully it takes care of you. I know guys with all different sorts of mileages on there trucks in the 03-07 range I havent heard of any U-Joint issues or bearing issues or any front end issues. I just like to keep an eye on things everytime I change my oil I like to spend some time underneathe the vehicle keeping an eye on those types of things but ive never had a problem so far or heard of one. I would definitely take in a history report of the vehicle as much as you can see how many owners and dare I say it the age of that owner not trying to be bias by any means but generally a younger crowd likes to pound on there diesels and program them and all that kind of junk but the truck from the picture doesnt appear to have any signs of any real aftermarket tinker toying around its got the factory tinting and some smoker guards on there which isnt to uncommon for any vehicle these days. I would make sure to check for any substantial rust on the vehicle my vehicle had very minumum rust on it and still had over 90 % of the factory fram paint on it... One thing to keep in mind with a diesel is they stay powerful longer 200K on a diesel isnt 200k on a gas truck the most I can say is try and knock the price a bit. Tranny is another thing people tend to worry about on these trucks you never stated if it was a 6-speed or and automatic if its a 6 speed then it sounds like a good deal for you because the 6-speed is gonna like your towing better then the automatic will. Bottom line buying any type of vehicle that looks like its in great shape and has an excellent track record is still a risk because the craziest things can happen just gotta keep in mind that on a diesel the repairs will be more $$$ but its something we all have to accept.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Diesel Addict101
I dont know the price variances between states but seems maybe a little high I would definitely try to shoot him down on the price if you do get it... Injectors are a hit and miss item you never know when there gonna go the best you can do is make sure you keep up with the simple maintenance of changing the oil and fuel filters often. My truck gets an oil change every 3000 and a new fuel filter its only got 80000 on it its a 2004 just recently purchased it only cost me 23xxx bucks. The best you can do with any diesel is take care of it and hopefully it takes care of you. I know guys with all different sorts of mileages on there trucks in the 03-07 range I havent heard of any U-Joint issues or bearing issues or any front end issues. I just like to keep an eye on things everytime I change my oil I like to spend some time underneathe the vehicle keeping an eye on those types of things but ive never had a problem so far or heard of one. I would definitely take in a history report of the vehicle as much as you can see how many owners and dare I say it the age of that owner not trying to be bias by any means but generally a younger crowd likes to pound on there diesels and program them and all that kind of junk but the truck from the picture doesnt appear to have any signs of any real aftermarket tinker toying around its got the factory tinting and some smoker guards on there which isnt to uncommon for any vehicle these days. I would make sure to check for any substantial rust on the vehicle my vehicle had very minumum rust on it and still had over 90 % of the factory fram paint on it... One thing to keep in mind with a diesel is they stay powerful longer 200K on a diesel isnt 200k on a gas truck the most I can say is try and knock the price a bit. Tranny is another thing people tend to worry about on these trucks you never stated if it was a 6-speed or and automatic if its a 6 speed then it sounds like a good deal for you because the 6-speed is gonna like your towing better then the automatic will. Bottom line buying any type of vehicle that looks like its in great shape and has an excellent track record is still a risk because the craziest things can happen just gotta keep in mind that on a diesel the repairs will be more $$$ but its something we all have to accept.
Check your tires too my tires were brand new. Especially from a dealer from the picture the tires seem to be a little skimpy on tread make sure to factor in everything you would from buying any type of vehicle cosmetics, tires etc... it all counts towards the value a diesel truck if you think about it can be an investment not of how much money you make out of it when you want to resell but how much it can do for you so be picky and dont always jump on the first thing you see you will be stuck with it for a while after all

Oh and Diesel vehicles depreciate differently then Gasoline vehicles do. Diesels will hold their value longer.

One minor thing your not gonna like is it doesnt have towing mirrors which may mean it doesnt have the towing package I'd check into that.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Diesel Addict101; 12-11-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost