24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ideas??

i got a 2001 dodge 24v with and auto trans. wen i stop and take off its is realy slugish. heck it wont even try to get out of its own way. it acts like it has to spool up befor it will even think about moving very fast. also wen pullin a hill and i let off the throttle wen i get back in it it has no power. i just replaced the lift pump cuz thats wat the guy at the dealership said it was but guess wat that wasnt it. anyone got any ideas.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Need to know fuel pressure and what kind of lift pump (stock will barely keep you alive). If it is dead pedal until around 1500rpm, you could be in for some IP issues. Run for codes as well as you do not want to be shooting from the hip and swapping expensive parts. Read posts regarding dead pedal and vp44, remember to listen to rawilliams as he is extremely knowledgable.

The following users liked this post:
twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Checking for codes is a very good idea, and a fuel pressure gauge is one of the best ideas. Any modifications to the truck? Any smoke when it is acting this way?

twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will bet it is a bad VP......

twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I'm hoping not a VP, but it is common. Right now I'm wondering about a plugged MAP sensor.

twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Doesn't sound like VP symptom but anything is possible... the best advice I can give you is not to use a dealership, I'd call my mom for help before I called or went to a dealer, they blame lift pump and ecm for any and all issues with a vp truck because they have no clue how to properly diagnose anything, did they even scan it for codes for you? Could be anything from a torn intercooler boot (they are known to rub on inner fenders just before and after the IC) or a cam sensor, you need to see if you have any codes because without them all of us are just guessing.

twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Diesel Fan

i cheched for codes useing my buds computer and it didnt say anything and wen they checked at the dealership they didnt get anything eather. the only mod to the truck is that it is stright piped and no its not blowin smoke. my truck dont blow smoke at all. i have no clue wat my fule pressure is and it has a stock lift pump. im new to workin on diesels and i dont know wat a vp is. is it a vacume pump? also wats a MAP sensor?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

VP44=This the injection pump that in simple terms(heart of the truck) fires your injectors off (pop pressure) to piston placement up stroke.

MAP= Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor --- This sensor reads the boost ( forced air from your turbo) PSI= Pounds Per Square Inch into the engine.

twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do a simple APPS reset, that seems to help mine at times. The easy way to do it is to take the negative cables off of both batteries and then turn your headlight switch on. This will discharge any capacitors in the electrical system. You can also just turn the ignition switch to the on position. Let it sit this way for a few minutes. Turn the key off or the headlight switch back off. Reattach the battery cable grounds and make sure all 4 cable ends are tight on the batteries. Then turn the key to the on position but do not crank. Slowly press the accelerometer pedal down to the floor. Wait about 5 seconds and then slowly bring your foot up. When the pedal is in the "idle" position, turn the key to the off position. Then proceed to crank the truck up and drive it like normal.

If this helps then you may need to check and adjust the APPS voltage.

twitchytuff (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by James98&1/2
I would do a simple APPS reset, that seems to help mine at times. The easy way to do it is to take the negative cables off of both batteries and then turn your headlight switch on. This will discharge any capacitors in the electrical system. You can also just turn the ignition switch to the on position. Let it sit this way for a few minutes. Turn the key off or the headlight switch back off. Reattach the battery cable grounds and make sure all 4 cable ends are tight on the batteries. Then turn the key to the on position but do not crank. Slowly press the accelerometer pedal down to the floor. Wait about 5 seconds and then slowly bring your foot up. When the pedal is in the "idle" position, turn the key to the off position. Then proceed to crank the truck up and drive it like normal.

If this helps then you may need to check and adjust the APPS voltage.
i just did the apps reset and took it for a test drive and it did nuthin.

Quick Reply: any ideas??