24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

01 sport dodge will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 sport dodge will not start

As learned from other forums I unplugged lp to get the engine cranked. But I think there is a leak in the line somewhere. I have been told I need fpg and have read to eliminate banjo nuts altogether where do i get fittings to do this and where do I install pressure sending unit. Where is a replacement relay to allow the lp to deenergize while cranking so the engine will start. Also is the return line going to the tee fitting to remain pressured at all times or will it gravity feed back to tank when not running.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Eliminating the banjo bolts isn't necessary. It is usually done to promote better flow, but only needed in extreme high horsepower applications.

The entire system should have fuel in it always, but not necessary pressurized. If you leaking back, I suggest looking at the banjo bolt on the back of the head. If it is loose, it will allow fuel to bleed back.

Have you tried bumping the stater, and listen for you lift pump running?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 sport wont start

Thanks for the info. I have bumped the starter and the pump does run and seems to be getting plenty of fuel as i opened the h2o valve on the filter and strong stream. I wonder if in the process of changing out the gasket for the tappet cover I must have moved the return line where it ties in to the tee and must be bleeding down there. I can bleed the lines and it will crank and I can unplug the lp and it will crank. when I replaced the lp there was no fuel in the lines which leads me to believe that there is a leak somewhere but I have looked and have found no wet or damp areas but if it is at the tee that would really be a vacuum leak if it is allowing air in and fuel to drain to the tank leaving my lines dry.
Sounds reasonable anyway. Is there really a relay switch to keep the lp from pumping while in the crank mode. Thanks again I appreciate all the info I can get, this is a real learning experience for me.