24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

53 block question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 53 block question???

Well being as these block have a big problem cracking, has ANYONE found a brace that will mount to the block to make it stronger. If not is there any company's on her that would like to take this on and make a brace to prevent the block from cracking. I am willing to lend my truck as a ginny pig for testing.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm affraid there's no fix IF you're 53 is one of the problem children. I had a 53 that was cracked, so I did my homework. There's a product called lock stitch that will sell you a kit that repairs the crack AND three plates that cover the entire area (including the area that isn't cracked). I asked why I would need the additional protection and they told me that once the crack is repaired, another crack typically developes in a different area. You'll also read a lot of people that claim welding the crack will hold. Search this site and you'll see the arguments. I felt that welding wouldn't hold and the Lock Stitch kit costs around $1500.

If yours isn't cracked, it may not ever crack. Many people have 53s that don't. In fact one guy has over 1,000,000 miles on one.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

175k on my 53 and still running strong with some heavy mods

Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a 53 block with (99 Ram 2500) that we use as a farm truck. I has almost 900K on it and the only thing I have replaced other than common peripherals is the VP44 three times. If it is not cracked, I would not try to fix it.

Keep in mind, this truck has NEVER had any mods done to it. I still run the good old paper filters and I still get 25 mpg consistently.

If you plan on heavy performance mods, I would find another motor to put them on. I directly know one other person who had a 53 block that was cracked and leaking and we tried to fix it twice. Each time the fix only lasted about 3500 miles and was worse than before we started. Hindsight being 20/20 and if it were mine, I would find another block, a decent used or rebuilt motor, or even a cheap donor truck. After the patch, it makes a long road trip even longer when you're worried about making it home.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Diesel Fan

I have 327,500 on the truck now. First thing is first I'm buying all the parts to fully build my trans. I do plan on putting some mods. I am looking at the edge juice CTS a bigger vp pump, air dog, injectors, and either a bigger turbo or twin set up. I don't wanna make crazy power with the truck just enought to turn heads. If the block cracks it. Crack I was just wondering if a company had come up with the idea being as this is a big problem. But hey wanna play with the big boy better just be ready to put out .

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dullydemon99
I have 327,500 on the truck now. First thing is first I'm buying all the parts to fully build my trans. I do plan on putting some mods. I am looking at the edge juice CTS a bigger vp pump, air dog, injectors, and either a bigger turbo or twin set up. I don't wanna make crazy power with the truck just enought to turn heads. If the block cracks it. Crack I was just wondering if a company had come up with the idea being as this is a big problem. But hey wanna play with the big boy better just be ready to put out .
reading your plans for the truck you do not need a bigger vp pump the factory one on your truck will make all the power you want. For the price of all the things to try and fix a cracked block you can buy a core short block and build it and have better piece of mind

Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

228K on my 53 block no issues if you made it past 75K then you do not have any worries with you block they generaly cracked right behind the push rod panel. about 25% of the 53 blocks where bad. Im sure most of the problem ones are off the streets now.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Diesel Fan

The only reason I'm thinking a vp is cause wen I brought to the dealer to find out what my misfire issue was they said there was a code for the pump. They didn't tell me the code number tho. And I was also told the misfire was from valve body binding . But yea the block seems pretty good no crack as of yet. I appreciate all the input.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

To prevent cracking:
1. Let engine warm up properly
2. avoid heavy towing / WOT while engine is cold.

After 200k i wouldnt worry any more. most blocks would crack if you tow heavy equipment and what not.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I need to correct myself I dont have a 53 Block, so I lied I appologize, but my friend has one and its goin strong.

Quick Reply: 53 block question???