24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New headlight or polish?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the polish kits do work, but you will have the haze return in a matter of months.. Sanding them takes off the coating that has yellowed or hazed, and spraying clear enamel (paint) replaces this coating. I have used the polish kits but after having to re-do it many times, I decided to use the painting method and have had excellent results for a good while now on multiple vehicles and have never had to repeat my work on any of the ones I have done. Just my opinion but this method is much more permanent

Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselFueledFarmboy
Yes, the polish kits do work, but you will have the haze return in a matter of months.. Sanding them takes off the coating that has yellowed or hazed, and spraying clear enamel (paint) replaces this coating. I have used the polish kits but after having to re-do it many times, I decided to use the painting method and have had excellent results for a good while now on multiple vehicles and have never had to repeat my work on any of the ones I have done. Just my opinion but this method is much more permanent
i just ordered the 3m kit. should i use the clear spray enamel after i use the kit? i've heard that the kit works but i definately don't want to do it ever few months.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Diesel Fan

I personally do not like polish since paint cannot adhere to it.. Just my opinion but I like sanding the old crud off first

Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I havent heard of too many people having good luck with the polish kits

Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by DieselFueledFarmboy
I personally do not like polish since paint cannot adhere to it.. Just my opinion but I like sanding the old crud off first
so just do the sanding steps of the kit and then spray on the clear enamel? i've heard the 3m kits work good but i dont feel like repeating the process.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Diesel Fan

I have used Brasso silver polish and have had very good luck. It is a mildly abrasive rubbing compound that will remove the yellowed surface. I have done it twice in 12yrs on my Jeep.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After they are clean and clear put the highest rated SPF suntan protection on them.. I use this on my dash also to protect it from the UV rays killing it...

Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Diesel Fan

I replaced mine because they were pretty bad and it was a nightmare but if u buy some aftermarket don't go cheap but you also might not have the same problems as me wuth installation

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Diesel Fan

I have used the restoration kits and in a year its back. I really think I'm getting new lenses when I get the money.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM

The left headlight / turn signal assembly was smashed on my truck when I bought it. I bought a cheap assembly from Rockauto.com - $46.79 + shipping. A used one was gonna cost $35.00 and it was faded / chipped. Fit isn't perfect, but the only peeps likely to notice are experienced auto body techs.

rockauto has more expensive CAPA certified ones too.

Quick Reply: New headlight or polish?