24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel tank pick-up problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel tank pick-up problem?

I think in my 99 I have a problem with the fuel pump or the straw that sucks the fuel. If I get any lower than half tank and get on the gas anything near hard on it, the next time I start the truck it doesnt want to start, or shuts off while driving. Wont start up till I crack the injector lines...

The motor completely shut off the 2nd day I had my truck while getting on it and at about 1/4 tank. The next day it did it coming to a stop. I am at a loss and believe its either the straw or my fuel gauge is wrong. And on another note my buddies 2000 is doing the same thing. Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea sounds like air in the lines. do you know if anyones ever pulled the unit out

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend pulling the tank (or bed if you prefer), then replacing with a draw straw such as vulcan's unit, (Draw Straw V or similar). I don't see a aftermarket lift pump in your sig, so that is a good place to start also.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I do have a aftermarket lift pump, just forgot to add it in my sig. I will try the new draw straw here soon and see if that helps

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine a year ago from a 2000 e350 7.3, and the draw straw was completely disintegrated. All the pieces were sucked into 2 small pre- filters in the sending unit. Made the mistake of replacing it with a O.E.M. part. I wish I had not. I hear they have not changed the plastic formula, so it will happen again. I can't stand these big, bloated, stumbling, bumbling corporations that either: 1. Don't care to realize mistakes they are making, or 2. Pay lots of money to engineers to make mistakes happen. Absolutely burns me up inside.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DEf. pull the tank or bed and replace... I just got through helping a friend of mine do the same thing. Another friend of ours used a brass tubing kit to replace the plastic crap.... I will have to ask him where he found it, it had all the flares and crap in the kit and was really easy to use.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay awesome I appreciate it, I think my straw is falling apart like people are saying... :/

Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

So I am going to buy a new draw straw Friday and probly getting the Vulcan. I hope that solves the problem, my truck died yesterday while trying to sort of race my buddy. I think my fuel sending unit is bad too, when my gauge says half tank, it costs $100+ to fill up and I know that's not right.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a sump option. I put the alligator per. sump in my truck and its awesome. No worry about 1/4 tank fueling, no draw straw, gravity feed to the lift pump, easy install, no bed removal.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have an after market Lift Pump i.e. Air Dog, Fass.... go with the Vulcan DSV, i had same problem when i first bought my truck, died on the side of interstate reading over 1/4 tank. I replaced whole assembly and added the draw straw. My gauge reads true now and have had no problems supplying fuel. Its very easy to install and does not require much work.

If your aftermarket or replacement lift pump is "in tank" i would look hard and fast at upgrading, its just a matter of time before that patch will fail. Do a search on here for lift pump and/or draw straw and you will get more confirmation on the best setup

Vulcan sells the "liberty" replacement unit which is the whole assembly with the straw or just the draw straw. I lucked out and a buddy of mine tried to replace his pump with the intank from autozone and it didnt work so i stole his assembly to get the new float and added the draw straw to it.

Last edited by EggosBrother; 03-20-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank pick-up problem?