24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

tranny thoughts/suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I went with High Energy Clutches and Discs, and a Billet Input Shaft. I don't think extra discs and/or clutches are necessary until you are wanting to constantly race with 500+ HP. Despite they are an extra cost, there isn't a better time to put a Billet Input shaft in. It may be in your interest to call the local shops, and see what they do and what parts they use in their performance transmissions. I didn't source any parts for my build, I let the shop do it all. Came with a 1 year unlimited mile warranty as well.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought mine from Goerend, best decision I've made for my truck. They test every transmission in house before shipping. They have a 3 year 150,000 mile warranty. You won't find that at Joe Blows transmission shop that plays with 700R4's all day.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by DanLowe
I bought mine from Goerend, best decision I've made for my truck. They test every transmission in house before shipping. They have a 3 year 150,000 mile warranty. You won't find that at Joe Blows transmission shop that plays with 700R4's all day.
Brown nosing convinces me of nothing. Every transmission company on the planet will have a failure at some point, and air testing and dyno testing might catch 5-10% of those failures. Mail order transmissions are a fad or hype. Im sorry you spent thousands more than needed and if a failure occurs you'll spend hundreds if not thousands more, you investment dosent change my view
Been in this industry and line of work to long to buy into the crap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mysterync
Brown nosing convinces me of nothing. Every transmission company on the planet will have a failure at some point, and air testing and dyno testing might catch 5-10% of those failures. Mail order transmissions are a fad or hype. Im sorry you spent thousands more than needed and if a failure occurs you'll spend hundreds if not thousands more, you investment dosent change my view
Been in this industry and line of work to long to buy into the crap.

So are you one of those that creep on DB trying to pick a fight? I bought a quality product from a reputable dealer. You get what you pay for.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Been here a long time and it's a open forum. Free speech ya know. I was a sponsor here for quite a while and I've sold many transmissions from a mail order style company. And yes I enjoy aggressively making my point known.
You my friend purchased a overpriced transmission rebuild from a company that has built a standing in the online market through hype.
Look at it like this , how many of dans transmissions have you purchased and installed? How many suncoast transmissions have you purchased or installed? Am I saying that everyone will fail or have issues? No im not but the cost if issues arise is higher. Your one of thousands who bought a transmission. How many of that group have had issues?

Last edited by mysterync; 02-01-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

To each there own. Saying I'm happy with a product that i have sled pulled, drag raced, towed, and daily drove for thousands of miles is not brown nosing.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanLowe
They test every transmission in house before shipping. They have a 3 year 150,000 mile warranty. You won't find that at Joe Blows transmission shop that plays with 700R4's all day.
So indicating that a company offers a better service than thousands of others in the exact same industry isn't brown nosing? Let's say there are 2,000 trained transmission techs in the usa today, do you not feel that atleast 50 in that group are as if not more capable than another tech? Or one step further that they can't offer the same warranty, and what is a transmission warranty? Have you read the warranty disclaimer for any aftermarket transmissions? Im not trying to be a jerk but I am trying to prove my point. The idea that we have to spend our money out if town because a product is cheaper or "better" will destroy this country from the inside out... IMO of course

Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I had mine rebuilt at a local shop and they said it would handle any hp up to 600. So I bought it had them put it in it had 2 year 24,0000 mile warranty. After that I had it in there getting it rebuilt 3 times and I'm only pushing 400hp. So I wish I would have got one from suncoast. I payed 3,000 dollars for the clutches, TC, VB, and they were a good brand. So I may be wrong but I would get one from suncoast.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

First of all 1295 for a converter, a valve body with a transgo kit 60 bucks, a rebuild kit 228-500 and shipping....
What's the chances that instead of them tuning the valve body and line pressure they just smacked your valvebody on and didn't check it? Did you check tv adjustment and line pressure?
Transmissions don't continually fail for no reason.
Not every shop is adequate, and in some cases you might be better buying a mail order but that's if there are no quality options available. I've had too many upset customers that were told they used their truck incorrectly or whatever the reason is. Let me ask you this, would you have rather payed to have shipped your transmission to Florida 3 times at 100 a pop as compared to having it done locally

Last edited by mysterync; 02-01-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

I agree with having your transmission built by a local shop if they know what they are doing. Nothing wrong with buying your own parts.

Luke

Quick Reply: tranny thoughts/suggestions...