24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

tranny thoughts/suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tranny thoughts/suggestions...

So i have a stock tranny and for the engine upgrades i have and future upgrades i have in store, i would like to invest in the tranny. Now its already starting to show symptoms of a worn tranny. I believe its been slipping especially when its WOT. The best acceleration times are actually during low throttle and really high throttle, and horrible acceleration during mid range throttle. Its shuddering between 1200-1500 RPMS and bounces in between gears between 30-45 MPHS , constantly shifting from 3rd to OD... unless i take OD off.

So what are my options? Should i do a master rebuild? Should a VB and TC take care of the issues? Or replace the whole tranny?

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you think you can trust yourself in rebuilting the transmission you can order a TC, valvebody, and clutches and do it yourself. But if you don't order one from Suncoast, Goerend, or ATS transmission all are good.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ahhhhhhhh, good ole TC shutter

Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Question

Originally Posted by Smarty=Cummins
Well if you think you can trust yourself in rebuilting the transmission you can order a TC, valvebody, and clutches and do it yourself. But if you don't order one from Suncoast, Goerend, or ATS transmission all are good.
What about dtt? I've been doing some research and Dtt sounds good and more likely in my price range... But goerend is easily up there from the research I've done... 4 grand is alittle much... Ive built engines but never even tore into a tranny before... How hard can they be?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Don't buy a mail order transmission. Buy the parts and have a good local shop build it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

The following users liked this post:
Diesel Dawgs Performance (02-01-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok, so what kit would be better? Or which ones to avoid?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Fir starters hit up witt trans, and you'll see that most folks offer the same kit as suncoast or others but you may have to request additional clutches or the "upgraded" kit,and a transgo kit. Then order a converter from suncoast or.then vendor of your choice. Then find a good transmission shop and have them build it and raise line pressure according to what other performance transmissions in your application run.

For those who disagree, red alto isn't a performance shop specific, the transmissions can only come apart and go together one way and with a clear understanding of how they work and tech can modify it to hold additional power. Then the tech who builds it can install it and tune it right there, no calling back and fourth or shipping the trans back. No question of who's at fault for failures or any of that mess. Just make sure your the advocate supplying your builder with the information that's readily available in these forums in regards to line pressure, clutch and part specs etc etc etc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

The following users liked this post:
mb5n537 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Diesel Fan

Thank you for the advice! Any other info or suggestions I need?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Don't buy a mail order transmission. Buy the parts and have a good local shop build it.
I agree. When I had issues with my transmission that was built locally, I had it back and running in 5 days. Didn't cost me a cent either. Mail order Transmission would have been MY labor to pull it out and put it in, MY cost of shipping, and all for a snap ring.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Mmmk... You guys convinced me that was a good route to take. So what kind of kit am I looking for cause I was think a kit with extra frictions and possibly a billet input shaft for future mods.

Quick Reply: tranny thoughts/suggestions...