24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Time For A Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:41 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts
Default Time For A Heater Core

My truck decided that it wanted a new heater core now that's it's well below freezing out. So, anybody ever done this and have any advice or even better a how to article. I know the dash has to come out, I just don't want to pull out anything more then I have to and want to fix everything I can that may need replaced while I'm in there.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not terribly difficult, just involved. The dash doesn't have to come out of the truck(although the manual says it does), you'll just have to swing the passenger side up and to the rear. I propped it up with a piece of 2x4.....others have used straps attached to the grab handle.
I would advise replacing the AC evaporator while the case is out.....it'll add @ $100 to the parts bill, but it beats doing the job over again when you have to swap the evaporator.
Tons of articles out on the web on this repair......

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Bubba (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me its worth the time and money to change the evap...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got done with this myself.

Didn't mess with the E-vap because I didn't want to discharge the A/C.

I used the NAPA core Part # 6601767, it has swiveling I/O tubes so you don't have to remove the heater box from the truck.

3 things I would suggest.

1. Remove the spring clips from the A/C lines right outside the firewall and unbolt the accumulator on the A/C so you can unbolt the heater box and move it back a little, would have made it a snap to drop in the new core. ( read this on another forum and decided not to try it for whatever reason.)

2. Source new seals for the heater core because the NAPA one does not come with any (had to make my own as the factory core wasn't lettin' go of them.)

3. Buy 2 new heater hoses (NAPA #9808 quantity 2), I tried every trick in the book and ended up slicing mine to get them off.

Other than that it went fairly smooth, all said it took about 3.5 hours with me being ultra cautious.

Uncle Bubba (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...ater-core.html
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...eplacment.html

I tore into mine once to remove the evaporator and clean it out. It was plugged and I had minimum air flow. If I were to do it again for any reason, I would replace the heater core and evaporator. It a full day job to get it in and out, and I do suggest removing the entire dash. Having the dash supported sounds like a short cut that will bite you in the **** later. When it is fully out, it gives an excellent opportunity to inspect everything behind the dash, and if so inclined to do so, add a layer of sound proofing. If my dash comes off again, the sound proofing will go on as well as a new heater core and evaporator.

Uncle Bubba (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

my brother said i need a new evap for my rig, he said the dash has to come off. as far as replacing it, you guys recommend just going in by the heater core? my dash is cracked, was thinking bout replacing it(or just throw a dashboard cover on it) what y'all think? I wish i could work on it myself, but korea is a ways away from my rig in Illinois. lmao

Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did it to mine. went ahead and changed out the evaporator coil also since its right next to the heater core. saved me from havin to tear the dash apart again in the future

Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I got mine from O'rielys, highly recommended.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

if you loosen the bolts one on eachside behind kicker panel then bolts under srs plastic on tran hump then two bolts holding steering wheel the dash will rotate forward and you can axcess every thing behind it including the screws behind the top dash plastic if thats all cracked up might as well replace that if you have the money while your there.

Uncle Bubba (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I remember talking about different cores at one time, and someone said they found one with more cores. More cores for more heat. I don't think they ever got back to me about it though. Wish I could fins that again.

Quick Reply: Time For A Heater Core