24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

2002 rear end (dana 80)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 rear end (dana 80)

2002 rear end (dana 80)-wp_000123.jpg

2002 rear end (dana 80)-wp_000125.jpghey guys,
this is prob the wrong place to ask but i can't find the right place to go so here it goes
i have a 2002 ram 3500 dually the rear end is toast i think not sure if the spindle can be taken off and replaced - was driving the other day and i started to hear grinding and poping ( ya know the sound that just makes ya sick when ya hear it) well pulled in a store check it out ( thought maybe a wheel seal gone , just replaced them both a few months ago) could'nt see any leaks or abvious damage, brother in law came with trlr and we got back to the house and it's not good. (i have tried to send pics with this hope they work ) was wondering if the spindle on these axle assem. (dana 80) can be removed and replaced
my gut says no but ya never know. if the pictures didnt work the spindle on the passenger side when i took it off was bone dry and bearings fell out with the dust and shavings from the ruined axle shaft and the hub is totally wiped out but the driver side, all is good and plenty wet , all though a few months ago i had replaced both wheel seals and the yolk seal and put amsoil in the diff , the yolk had a groove in it were the old seal had worn it down , i smoothed it out best i could with emory cloth and thought it was good , apperantly not the seal was leaking again and slung out most of the amsoil hence busted bearings and everything else it took ( my fault for not checking expensive lesson) but anyways any advise or leads would be greatly apprecited thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Had this happen on a 2005 F550 once. The axle was removed and sent to a machine shop with the new bearings. They cut the damaged piece off, fabricated a new one, and welded it on. Pricey, but less then a new axle for that truck. In your case, I would suggest looking at wreckers for a used one, then just do a swap.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Diesel Fan

ya that is what iam looking to do now

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

hey guys found a good deal on a dana 80 housing (150.00) going tomarrow to get it but iam not to sure how hard it is to transfer all the guts out of my old one to the new one is there any videos out htere that could help or if someone knows how to do it i sure would appreciate the help thnks in advance.

Last edited by 1trucker; 01-05-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you ran it dry on oil chances are the internals are worn out. if your going to swap everything over id put new bearings, races, seals, and inspect the ring & pinion for wear. if its bad replace that to.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Physically moving the parts isn't bad at all. Setting up bearing preload and tooth contact for the ring and pinion is the more complicated part.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its a waste of time if you have worn carrier bearings and gears from running dry on oil.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Diesel Fan

all internals are fine just the right tube was dry and it ate up all the bearings and the hub / axle, there was enough oil in pumkin just not enough to get to the hub on the right side
the housing i picked up today from conroe tx is a dana 80 but it has drum brakes on it is there an easy/good way to get my disk brakes swaped over to good housing ?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the housing i picked up came out of a 2001 ram 3500 single cab w/reg. bed on it ( not a cab and chassis)

Last edited by 1trucker; 01-07-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dana 80

Hey, hows it goin? Curious...where did you find the dana 80 housing? Been looking for one for 2 yrs. do you know if whoever you got it from has others? Contact info? My dana 80 is bent, need a fix.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Diesel Fan

hey rammer 72, i have a cab and chassis truck, which the rearend for those are shorter than a dually ( if you've been looking for 2 yrs i assume you have the same thing)
i found a rearend on ebay after looking for about year or so in arkansas
hopefully get to pick it up next week , i will ask him if he can get another one and let ya know here on diesel bombers.
not sure if you have looked into a axle shop for big trucks (18 wheelers) but most of them have the capability of straitening out bent axles, they bend front/rear axles on the big trucks all the time, you could probably find one by going to a SMALL truck shop in you're area, the dealers are not going to be very helpfull. you might also check out the "the axle surgeon" Axle Surgeons.Net they might be able to help ya hope that helps.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:08 PM
Default Axle tube repair.

Originally Posted by 1trucker
Attachment 23246

Attachment 23247hey guys,
this is prob the wrong place to ask but i can't find the right place to go so here it goes
i have a 2002 ram 3500 dually the rear end is toast i think not sure if the spindle can be taken off and replaced - was driving the other day and i started to hear grinding and poping ( ya know the sound that just makes ya sick when ya hear it) well pulled in a store check it out ( thought maybe a wheel seal gone , just replaced them both a few months ago) could'nt see any leaks or abvious damage, brother in law came with trlr and we got back to the house and it's not good. (i have tried to send pics with this hope they work ) was wondering if the spindle on these axle assem. (dana 80) can be removed and replaced
my gut says no but ya never know. if the pictures didnt work the spindle on the passenger side when i took it off was bone dry and bearings fell out with the dust and shavings from the ruined axle shaft and the hub is totally wiped out but the driver side, all is good and plenty wet , all though a few months ago i had replaced both wheel seals and the yolk seal and put amsoil in the diff , the yolk had a groove in it were the old seal had worn it down , i smoothed it out best i could with emory cloth and thought it was good , apperantly not the seal was leaking again and slung out most of the amsoil hence busted bearings and everything else it took ( my fault for not checking expensive lesson) but anyways any advise or leads would be greatly apprecited thanks in advance
I used to work for a company called axle Surgeons inc. of Indiana and Kentucky. The company is still in operation and there are franchises all over the country. They are portable and do quality repairs (atleast I did) with a guarantee. I'd look into this company in your area as this would be a much less costly repair versus a banjo replacement.