24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Went To Dealer Today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

yep that's the dealer ship for yah..

at least you didn't get the stupid irrelevant questions
does it have a cd player?
does it have ac?
does it have over head map lighting?
does it have a trunk monkey?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused
Well against my better judgement I went to the dealer to get a check valve for the VP44 and the washers, I also wanted a stock uper bango bolt and washers for that incase I ever put the fuel system back to stock for emergency's. Well I go in and this guy is an ***. He has a major chip on his shoulder and acts like it hurts him to help me. I tell him I need the check/relief valve that goes into the return line coming out of the Vp44 returning to the tank. He looks at me and ask what the VP44 is? This guy is there head diesel mechanic as well mind ya, I about fell over. I said you dont know what the VP44 is and he says no why do you think that is so amusing. So I become kind of a smart *** and tell him that it is the proper name for the fuel injection pump on the 24v Cummins. So now we are on the same page and he turns the computer screen towards me and ask me to point out what I needed. He was very helpful after that and apoligized for acting the way he did. He had just dealt with another guy that was a complete *** he told me and he took it out on me. So I managed to get my parts ordered and should be here tomorrow so hopefully this fixes my problem. I just thought it was a little wierd that he had no idea what the VP44 was though.

Andy
I have read this whole thread and trust me I know exactly where you guys are coming from, and i thought this was quite funny and shared it with my Service Manager today (since my truck has died..) and he said the exact same thing...'A What'??

Then...we had a long talk about Cummins labelling vs Dodge labelling and he says to me, well how do you like your 'xxxx-xxx-xx' in the 06...I of course didnt have any idea what he was talking about...In the end, it was the turbo, but he asked using the Dodge part number, instead of the Cummins part that we are all familiar with...

So, I guess if you look at it this way, maybe they arent as dumb as we all think....

Tire guys though....yea, most suck!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Longhorn
I have read this whole thread and trust me I know exactly where you guys are coming from, and i thought this was quite funny and shared it with my Service Manager today (since my truck has died..) and he said the exact same thing...'A What'??

Then...we had a long talk about Cummins labelling vs Dodge labelling and he says to me, well how do you like your 'xxxx-xxx-xx' in the 06...I of course didnt have any idea what he was talking about...In the end, it was the turbo, but he asked using the Dodge part number, instead of the Cummins part that we are all familiar with...

So, I guess if you look at it this way, maybe they arent as dumb as we all think....

Tire guys though....yea, most suck!

I had to point the injection pump out though before he realized what I was talking about.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts

Ha,Ha the guys in my shop dont even call it an injection pump...in their world it is the 'high pressure pump' while the LP is the 'low pressure pump'....

Maybe if we knew their language and they knew ours, it would be a whole lot easier to get something fixed....

Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

does it have a trunk monkey?
I bet your going to tell me thats a dealership only item...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Longhorn
Ha,Ha the guys in my shop dont even call it an injection pump...in their world it is the 'high pressure pump' while the LP is the 'low pressure pump'....

Maybe if we knew their language and they knew ours, it would be a whole lot easier to get something fixed....
This is very true. With my time at the dealership I found that every department seems to have its own language. The Warranty Administration department calls it one thing, the Parts Department another and the Service Manual something completely different. I can't even imagine what it's like throwing in an outside engine manufacturer.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
I bet your going to tell me thats a dealership only item...

nah, we have a used car dealer up here that advertises for the truck money