24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Major Tranny Probs, Long Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Tranny Probs, Long Story

tranny started slipping and then came to a stop. so, i took it out and had a local guy rebuild it with a suncoast extreme duty kit, and i sent my torque converter back to ats to have it rebuilt with a lower stall speed, but i had nothing done to the valve body. tranny guy said i had a band and a couple clutch pads that were bad. put it all back in and stupid me never thought about the lines bein gunked up. drove it for a couple days. perfectly fine. then it slips for just a second when im takin off, so i check the fluid and it was a lil bit low. filled it to normal and drove fine for a lil bit, then gettin on the highway it jus free revved like it was in neutral. so i downshifted and as long as i kept it in second it would keep goin. got off the highway and stopped, it started throwin black smoke out like i was pullin a load at wot so i threw it in neutral and it was okay. put it in drive and take off like normal, no problems. then starts only goin in second again so a tranny shop closeby at the time put a code scanner on it and went for a ride with me and said my governor pressure kept droppin and it threw 3 codes, which i did not get from him one of em said somethin about TCC and the other 2 were about the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid. he said to take the solenoid out and make sure the screens on it were clean, so i did and it drove fine then acted up again so i parked it and when i went to do it again the next day i couldnt move the truck because as soon as i would put it in gear it would stall like the converter was locked up. but i cleaned the solenoid again and it still wouldnt move for a lil bit then all of a sudden it started to move again and drove fine bout til it would get warmed up. so i put a new governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor in it. did not fix it. so i was gonna drive it home from my buddies shop slowly in second gear and it decides to lock up the converter on me and stay in second gear. i drove it home and it still sits in my driveway. but here is what i got from the scanner any help would be much appreciated!
(all this was done in park since it stalls as soon as i put it in gear)
P0230-transfer pump out of range
P1693-MIL FLT in companion module
TRANS POWER RELAY-ON
TCC SOLENOID-OFF
3-4 SOLENOID-3RD
DES GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR-0
GOVERNOR PRESSURE-0
GOVERNOR PR DUTY CYCLE-29 (but raised to 39 or 40 by the time i wrote all this down)
GOVERNOR PRESSURE (V)-.68 (but raises when you try to drop in gear)
PRESENT GEAR-1
TPS (V)-.51

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also could it be that my lines are clogged and causing no governor pressure? i was told to take the rear line off and it should pump a quart in less than 20seconds, but havent had time to do so yet. if they were clogged would it cause somethin retarded like this to happen?

Last edited by powerfan985; 01-21-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I wonder if maybe your heat exchanger on the side of the block is clogged. There is a check vavle in the line that could be messed up or your VB could be all messed up. Call the guy who built it for you. If it is diesing when you drop it in gear though sounds like you welded first gear clutches together.