24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Bogging down at 70% throttle, PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bogging down at 70% throttle, PLEASE HELP

I have an 01 24 Valve, and I cant figure this out. At about 70 percent throttle, the truck doesn't move, then all of a sudden, it kicks in and wants to take off. I tried doing an APPS reset, bought a boost fooler, nothing is working. It is getting very frustrating. It has to be something with the fuel, but I dont understand how it can get fuel, then not get fuel, and then all of a sudden right before it shifts the fuel starts dumping. Anyone have any ideas? Please help, this is in my wifes truck and she is about to kill me!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you have gauges? upgrades to fuel system?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Diesel Fan

No upgrades to the fuel system, and i have boost, egt and tranny temp gauges. I just got the motor running a couple weeks ago as it was swapped into an Excursion. I am running out of the Excursion fuel tank with the stock fuel lines which I tied into about 4 feet before the lift pump on the Cummins motor. A friend is telling me I am not getting enough fuel and that maybe the stock excursion fuel lines arent big enough. But I dont understand how it can get a lot of fuel, then mid way no fuel, then tons of fuel at the top of the gear. This is my first Cummins motor, and I want to get an Airdog fuel system, its just a little out of reach with my money situation right now, but if need be, I will get it. I just want to make sure that 600 dollar investment is going to fix the problem. HELP PLEASE!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah that doesn't sound like lift pump, but you NEED that AirDog (or raptor, fass, etc) because considering you don't know your fuel pressure, the life of your $1000 vp44 is hanging in the balance... Put a good scanner on it and see what codes you get. Did you hear/see/drive the truck the motor came out of? You need codes and fp readings either way.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Diesel Fan

I know the Raptor is about 300 dollars less, would that be ok, or is it better to spend the extra money on the full system. A friend of mine works at a Dodge dealership, and he got FP readings for me today, I havent heard back from him as of tonight with the readings. But he is the one who suggested running new 1/2'' fuel lines from the pump all the way to the tank and completely bypass the ford lines that are on the frame.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

My friend just texted me and said he got a reading of 8 or 9 on the pressure. He said his 24v has a 100 Airdog, and his truck is reading 17.

Last edited by 24VExcursion; 10-15-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Bogging down at 70% throttle, PLEASE HELP

New fuel lines should come with your new lift pump which ever you pick are u sure its not related more to a tranny shift instead of motor wise? The excursion may shift at different points then the dodge it came out of

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah that's a very good point, did you need a special computer to run it on a ford transmission, similair to what is needed to run an Allison in a Cummins powered truck?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes, i purchased an Optishift transmission controller. The controller came with a bunch of files for the for 4R100 transmission. I uploaded the file for the 7.3 Powerstroke motor. I asked the tech from Bauman Electronics, and he told me the Cummins and the Powerstroke should be close enough. The truck also cuts out while sitting in park, so I dont think the shift points could do it. Anyone know what the shift points should be for the 24v, and I could at least look into that. I have 4.10 gears in the truck with 35'' tires.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Diesel Wrench

You said you did an APPS reset, did you manually adjust the voltage? and if your buddy has it at a garage did he scan for codes? should have been the first thing done, I would think.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Bogging down at 70% throttle, PLEASE HELP

If the tranny isnt the issue and you said it does it at idle and driving id have to be looking at the injection pump, how many miles is on it and how old is it? You really should get this thing checked for codes

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Bogging down at 70% throttle, PLEASE HELP