24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Code P0500

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm a girl!

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Code P0500

Anyone one know what this stands for. I took my truck to a friends shop today and had him run my codes and this is one I got back he has "USS" written next to it.

The reason I had my codes ran was because yesterday morning I started my truck up and let it warm up as usual (about 5-10 min). Once I started driving the truck had 0 power, I could floor it and would gain maybe 100 rpm every about 3-4 seconds, when I would shift the whole truck would shake and sound like it was bogging down once I got to operating temps it started running fine. My truck then sat the rest of the day (roughly 8 hours) while I was at work and was pretty cold but it acted just fine the whole way home, but acted up again this morning and once again was fine when I got off work.
I read a article about vp44's that said when the vp goes out it typically acts up when the truck is warm but is also common for it to act up only when the truck is very cold. The shop I took it to is a import shop but the guy also does alot of performance work on Diesel but mainly fords and dosent really care to work on Dodge so im a little worried about how up to date or good his scanner worked on my truck. It never pulled a code for my vp but pulled the code for my map sensor and a few other things which im going to check tonight, im just not sure what this one code is.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh never mind just found the code its for a speed sensor

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 01-03-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Could be the speed sensor on the rear diff....everytime Ive had this code it goes away after so many starts.

Its usually set when you spin the rear tires. You wouldnt have been doing any of that would you?

Yeah, hard starts when warm can be a sign that your VP-44 is toast. They can die without setting codes but thats pretty rare. Swing by Autozone and use their scanner. Do you have a fuel pressure guage in the cab?

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 01-03-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm a girl!

well my speed sensor is out I knew about that just forgot about it when I saw the code I had a blonde moment

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Could be the speed sensor on the rear diff....everytime Ive had this code it goes away after so many starts.

Its usually set when you spin the rear tires. You wouldnt have been doing any of that would you?

Yeah, hard starts when warm can be a sign that your VP-44 is toast. They can die without setting codes but thats pretty rare. Swing by Autozone and use their scanner. Do you have a fuel pressure guage in the cab?
Our auto zones scanner cant read diesel's I do have a friend that works at auto zone so im gonna ask him if he will pull a scanner out of the box for me. Right now though there is no check engine light is not on, they cleared the codes for me and the light has not came back on yet. My gauges just took a dump on me I had basically a old school quad commander that got a wiring issue we couldnt figure out. We are going to check the map sensor tonight and see what voltage its got but im thinking we will have to wait until the morning when it actually acts up to se if it is a voltage issue. They said it could be a problem with my quad box but after he cleared the codes I turned the box on level's 1-3 and hit it in every gear a few times and no check engine light, so who knows.

would a bad map sensor cause a truck to die and not start again for about 5-10 min? The only code my truck had yesterday (other than the speed sensor) was for a bad map sensor. We checked the map sensor last night and everything checked out fine. This morning once again I had a "dead pedal" and I read one bluechip's site that if you have a dead pedal push the clutch pedal in let the RPMS drop to about idle and then let the clutch pedal go if dead pedal goes away then its most likely your vp, I did this and my dead pedal went away. I just dont understand why im not getting any code for it unless im one of the very rare that dosent get a code. But the truck also died this morning on the way to work, I let it sit for about 5-10 min and it started right back up and hasnt died again.

Last edited by OneBadBia; 01-04-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouols strongly suspect va bad VP based on the description of issues.

Dave

Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm a girl!

well the check engine light came back on this morning so im hoping that maybe because it died it will finally give me a vp code. I just really dont understand why the only thing im getting is a bad map sensor when it seems to be working just fine. I really wish it would have done this earlier in the week so I could have had the vp here by this weekend. And to top all of this off I have a horrible toothach that is killing me and of course the dentist cant get me in until the 14th . I dont think this is a good sign for whats to come in the new year.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you tried changing the MAP or swapping with a known good one?

The confuser doesn't seem to throw codes until the MAP completely fails to one end of the spectrum or the other.

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm a girl!

UPDATE* So we pulled my quad box off and suprise suprise the problem is gone. The thing that makes me mad is that my truck has had the surging issues from the first day I put the box on. I tried contacting quad a bunch of time's with no reply back finally the other day I get ahold of them and basically im SOL they said I can take it up there and have them re flash it but they said they doubt that it would fix it.

So the box if off for now, when I have time im gonna run it up to quad and have them reflash it for me and see how that does. This definatly pisses me off though the box isnt even a year old yet. They said I should have warranty but cant find it in their system. If the box is done for I can say 100% im going somewhere other than quad, I loved what it did for my truck but dont think it should fail like this.