24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem

hey all.

I've read this forum for a while and I've got lots of good information here, this is my first post though.

I wasnt sure if this should go in the vp44 sticky or not, if so, sorry about that, I'll delete it and move it if I can.

anyway...

truck is a 99 dodge 3500 cummins automatic. Died last night while driving, it just stopped.

I went to truck today and put 5 gallons of fresh diesel in the tank, just in case guage went up. I bumped the key 3 or 4 times, I can hear the lift pump running, but I'm not sure its working.

I pulled the 2 plugs out of the top of the fuel filter canister and bumped the engine to start the lift pump. Should I see fuel coming out of the holes in the fuel filter canister? I ran the lift pump 4 or 5 times and nothing came out, but I'm not sure if it should or not?...

There is definitely no fuel getting to engine, but at this point I'm trying to figure out if its lift pump or vp44.

I dont have a code reader and I dont think I can do the key method with a '99, can I?... If necessary I suppose I could get a code reader...

I'm working now to get the truck home so I can get more into it, but any thoughts, tests, insight is welcome from you guys.

thanks,
Scott

Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Crack open the #3 fuel injector line on the head and bump the starter, if fuel is getting to the head, than fuel will come out of the injector line... 3/4" wrench. If its not, than you may have a clogged lift pump, or a bad injection pump. Fill out your Sig so we know what u got done to the truck. Stock lift pump?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Laugh

thanks for quick reply. I did crack that line going into the head and cranked engine on and off a few times - no fuel coming out...

and as of right now the truck is all stock (does that make me a bad person 'round here?) :-D

Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

no alot of ppl are running stockers here. If no fuel is coming out of the injector line, u have restriction somewhere. Get a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the pump and see what its putting out. First, put it on the lift pump and note the pressure. That put it on the inlet side of the vp44 and note, than on the outlet side and see what it is. My guess if your not getting fuel to the head is ur pump is either bad, or u got a fuel line clog. Check all the lines going into the head, see if there all restricted.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:45 PM

ok, follow-up, been reading more, installing FP gauge, and waiting on parts.

my original question about the 2 plugs on top of fuel canister - those are test ports, one pre filter and one post filter? I see in the forums where some guys have their fuel pressure gauge tapped in there, so I think I can safely assume that when I run the lift pump with those unplugged that fuel should be shooting out of those? Since it's not, I can also safely assume that my lift pump is dead and the only question now is if I've also fried my vp44?...

am I correct in my thinking here?

thanks...

Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM

ok, more follow...

I got new lift pump and replaced it. also have a FP gauge in now.

the good news is that the old lift was obviously shot since I had nothing coming out of fuel filter canister. Now if I cycle the lift pump I get 15 lbs pressure post filter to the gauge.

Given this new info, I cracked the #3 line at the head and I cranked the engine. I cranked it maybe 5 times for 30 seconds each - NO FUEL leaked out.

Question #1 - WILL IT TAKE LONGER THAN THIS TO GET FUEL THERE? Should I crank it more? OR should I check a different line first?

I checked the voltage on the plug to the vp44 and it has power in both start and run positions, pin 5 does not have power (should not from what I read...)

SO, before I commit the 1000 for a vp44, can someone confirm for me that my vp44 appears to be dead and I didnt miss a simple test somewhere else?

If I can get confirmation from someone today I'd like to get my vp44 ordered...

thanks in advance.

scott

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

sorry for all the follow-ups, but thought I should include this...

I did check #1 line and some fuel comes out - barely any at all.

I checked #4 line and fuel comes out of that one.

I did not check 2, 5, 6...

and now after pulling the plug and putting back on vp44 I have a check engine light - sweet!...

thanks for any info guys.

scott

Last edited by woodman23; 05-05-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott, what kind of fp did you install? Did you install a new fuel filter? The dodge oem fp's are crap. Go with an after market fp. I suggest you buy from a Diesel Bombers supplier as they know whats goin on, and they won't screw you.