24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Parking Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Light

Bought my 2000 2500 24V a week ago and when I bought it, the parking brake light was on. I tried releasing the pedal and pulling it up with no result, I'm assuming its a code for something bigger than just a depressed e-brake pedal. I dont have a code reader, nor do I have acess to one. Any ideas whats going on? Not super worried about it, just curious, plus that pesky light is annoying at night.

Thanks all

Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't think there is a parking brake code...or atleast i never had one and i smoked my parking brake totaly. id say you may have that sensor stuck or is messing up. when u pop ur Pbrake do you help it the extra inch up? that is what i have to do with mine. hope this helps!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay, good to hear. Yeah I tried helping it up but it didnt help. I'm gonna try to yank the sensor to see if it makes any difference. Thanks 01

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

UPDATE!! Well I tried freeing the pedal again, and it was all the way up, return spring is good, so I checked the switch, I pulled the wire and jumpered it to a ground source (essentially what the switch does.) and no to no avail. So I proceeded to check connections elsewhere, all were good, but found that the master cylinder was low, so I filled it. Still no response from the glaring light, so I gave up and replaced the carrier bearing instead. haha Tie-rods next

Last edited by lil'smokey; 03-31-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

the switch is just bad my 99 did this just unplug it and dont ground it just leave it unplugged and it should go off. it grounds out to turn it on not to turn it off.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Diesel Fan

I tried that too without a result. my brakes are somewhat soft too. I'm gonna really look into it tonight

Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

just a thought im sure you checked, but did you check the power steering fluid. either that or you may have a hydro boost problem. hate to say it but this is one of those problems that without being there to see it it will be hard to diagnose but we can all pitch in suggestions to hopefully point you in the right direction. one last question 2 wheel or 4 wheel abs.

The following users liked this post:
lil'smokey (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Diesel Fan

Now that you mentioned the power steering fluid Im remembering how freakin hard It is to turn on a dead stop, just figured it was because of the super wide tires. Haha.. Im assuming only 2 wheel, no speed sensors on the rear drums. Just replaced a wheel cylinder yesterday. I'm checking that fluid this morning. Haha

Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

it would be either rear wheel abs or 4 wheel abs. all have abs on the rear but not all have it on the front. the sansor on the chunk in the rear is the abs for it.best way to tell is look at the front axle and see if wires come out of the hub assembly. theres a chance that your either gonna have an abs pump issue or a hydro boost pump going out. if the hydro boost is going out the truck should pick up on the decreased line pressures and that might be whats causing this.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Diesel Fan

heres a real brain teaser then, the light goes on with the key, but then it momentarily goes off and comes back on

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

its just going through the code and some codes will clear when the truck shuts down then it picks it back up when it restarts.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Light