24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Several Questions (lift pump issue, 4x4 engagement)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Several Questions (lift pump issue, 4x4 engagement)

Hi i have a 1998.5 cummins 24 valve

Recently i have had some problems with my truck an really don't know how about going to fix them. First off my 4x4 will take about 5 minutes to engage while traveling down the road or won't engage at all if it is parked. What could be the gremlin for this? Also my lift pump is leaking pretty bad an was wondering what you guys recommend for this? Right now i cannot afford a air dog 150 or 100. An i here the bosch cummins pumps are crap. Also for some odd reason the guy who had the truck before me drilled out and elongated all the holes on the banjo bolt for the lines that go on the fuel fuel filter canister. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why would he do this? One more question for you guys where do you get those banjo bolt washers for the fuel filter canister? Mine were very sad looking and it took me quite some time screwing around with them for it not to leak there.

Thanks Brad

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also one more question. One cold days my transmission has a long delay of going into forward and reverse maybe (10-20 seconds) depends on how cold. Is this normal?

Last edited by brichard; 03-06-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First off, your vacuum pump may be leaking, or one of the hoses may be broken, does your defrost work, and does the floor heat work? This checks the hose from the vacuum pump to the firewall.
Here is a inexpensive lift pump: Carter Fuel Pump
It will work for a while, but you need to replace it soon.
Don't worry about the elongated banjo bolt holes, he did this to get more fuel flow. You might try Diesel Auto Power on Ebay for the washers for the banjo bolt. Also, check with him about the fuel pump.
Are you parking your truck with the nose up, if so the torque converter is draining the ATF back into the transmission and therefore needs a little time to refill. To see if this is the problem, park with the nose down, and see if you have this happen again.

Others will chime in.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im bettin your 4x4 problem is a vacuum issue, be prepared to chase the lines all over the engine bay, in my case the main line had fallen out of the vacuum pump itself.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your passengers side axle there should be a cover there that has a two prong vacuum connect. There is a coupler that allows the passenger side axle spin freely for better gas mileage. If you open it up you will see two seperate axle shafts a coupler and a vacuum actuated fork that engages/disengages the coupler. If you want a system that gets rid of the vaccum switch posi-lok has a swt set up. Its lever actuated and bulletproof. Then just block your vacuum line. System fixed

4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s

hope this works for ya. Or if you got some money later on down the road go with the spin tech free spin hubs with manual lockers.. 2 mpg better Im looking to put a set on my rig

on your T/C the stator may be worn or the stock single clutch is shot. Time for a new 3-5 disk ATS has a nice 5 disk with improved stator... Didnt anybody watch powerblock This wknd. Every one of these issues was on Extreme 4x4 and Truck U. U guys need to get cable out to your garage and a lock to keep your wives out.

Last edited by KillStroker; 03-06-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My defrost an floor heat does work. So i guess i will chase the hose from the actuator to up. And for parking the truck up hill. I wish.... Its on level ground when this happens.. The transmission has a little less than 13,000 thousand miles.

Originally Posted by stodg73
First off, your vacuum pump may be leaking, or one of the hoses may be broken, does your defrost work, and does the floor heat work? This checks the hose from the vacuum pump to the firewall.
Here is a inexpensive lift pump: Carter Fuel Pump
It will work for a while, but you need to replace it soon.
Don't worry about the elongated banjo bolt holes, he did this to get more fuel flow. You might try Diesel Auto Power on Ebay for the washers for the banjo bolt. Also, check with him about the fuel pump.
Are you parking your truck with the nose up, if so the torque converter is draining the ATF back into the transmission and therefore needs a little time to refill. To see if this is the problem, park with the nose down, and see if you have this happen again.

Others will chime in.

Ok thanks i will look into that.

Originally Posted by KillStroker
Check your passengers side axle there should be a cover there that has a two prong vacuum connect. There is a coupler that allows the passenger side axle spin freely for better gas mileage. If you open it up you will see two seperate axle shafts a coupler and a vacuum actuated fork that engages/disengages the coupler. If you want a system that gets rid of the vaccum switch posi-lok has a swt set up. Its lever actuated and bulletproof. Then just block your vacuum line. System fixed

4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s

hope this works for ya. Or if you got some money later on down the road go with the spin tech free spin hubs with manual lockers.. 2 mpg better Im looking to put a set on my rig

on your T/C the stator may be worn or the stock single clutch is shot. Time for a new 3-5 disk ATS has a nice 5 disk with improved stator... Didnt anybody watch powerblock This wknd. Every one of these issues was on Extreme 4x4 and Truck U. U guys need to get cable out to your garage and a lock to keep your wives out.

Last edited by brichard; 03-06-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Problem with the Auto Tranny is Miles dont mean anything sorry to say but I think if you ask anyone on here if you have a stock tranny and u have any mods or drive it different than your grandpa would. It can go anytime. Thats y they have an inferior turbo on the autos compared to the manuals. If u have a problem with first most times u are in reverse as well the first and reverse gears are part of the first clutch pack. Could be a smoked clutch pack or valve body is not getting the fluid. tranny pump yada yada. Basically look into a HD rebuilt kit or fork the dough for an upgraded unit with a good T/C. I hope you checked the fluid with tranny warm and while the truck is running. Once you get it at operating temp run it through all its gears then check the fluid level.