24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

First post and a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post and a question

Hi, This is my first post here. I usually just lurk and do a lot of searches to find info but can't find the answer I need.

I just go back from our annual trip to the Florence dunes towing our 40 ft toyhauler for the first time since getting a DTT trans installed, installing a PacBrake and a BD tow lock. Finally able to use some of the power the Edge gives me and I pop the Turbo to intercooler hump hose out from under the clamp on a steep grade. Fixed it and it immediately popped out again. I understand the stock ones are not up to snuf and can't handle additional boost much so the question is this - I am looking at two different manufacturers, BD and Mr. Bobs. Mr. Bobs kit appears to have the hump hoses that look like the stock ones, BD's kit does not. Are the hump hoses necessary? Seems like you would want them on a short hose to allow for engine movement. I would prefer to get the BD's since one of my favorite local outfit sells them and I can get them alot cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice anything in the process. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Jim

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im surprised you are having boost hose problems with a stock turbo, I thought they would take more than the turbo could make.

One cheap trick to get them to hold a little better is to put an extra set of clamps on, its not as good as aftermarket hoses and clamps but it does do the trick.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, there really is not enough room on the turbo side to add another clamp. I want to fix this right. It sucked driving 350 miles with a nasty leak having the EGT alarm going off on every big hill on the freeway.

Last edited by NW_Jim; 02-22-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i have the mr. bobs on my twin turbo, and see 100 psi of boost on the track with her. i have never blew on off, my twin set on the other hand had the bd clamps and i blew them off the cold pipe more than once. so my suggestion is the mr bobs the quality is much higher and the clamp on much better. and yes you need the hump for expansion and engine twist under a load, not having them can push the turbo side down and force the intercooler connector out, ive seen me do it. the stock ones will handle up to 50 psi usually, but if the truck is high mileage or the boots are extreamely wore 10 psi can blow them out from under the clamp. diesel parts are like most everything you buy quality cost more. go with mr bob you wont be disapointed with them.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Just bought the Mr. Bob's hoses and clamps. I don't like to skimp when it comes to stuff that could keep me from getting home. Just one less thing to worry about.

Thanks everyone,
Jim

Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The turbo is more than likely blowing oil out the compressor wheel and soaking the boots. you need to rebuild your turbo before putting on the new boots.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Headcase98002
The turbo is more than likely blowing oil out the compressor wheel and soaking the boots. you need to rebuild your turbo before putting on the new boots.

Really,
How many miles normally before a rebuild on the stock turbos?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I have the BD boots , they are great

lil trick puttin em on is use hair spray, nice a slick then it sets up

make sure to wipe the grease of wifes hairspray before ya put it back

Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock turbo lasted about 130K before it started spitting oil out the compressor housing, but everything else was great.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Just pulled the old boots and they are dry as a bone other some minor soot that barely got a paper towel dirty. Boots are really soft and look deteriorated. Glad I have new ones coming. I treat my turbo really well and never shut it down hot. I also run Amsoil exclusively with a Dual Bypass system. The truck also just barely broke 100K.